[StBernard] 8 Candidates Vie for Lt. Governor Race

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 19 13:14:12 EDT 2010

Eight candidates are running in the Oct. 2 special election for lieutenant
governor - the job that's a heartbeat away from the Governor's Mansion.

The lieutenant governor's main job is to promote culture, recreation and
tourism, but the office is also first in the line of succession should the
governor die, resign or be ousted.

For a PDF of candidates' answers to questions from The Advocate, click here.

And with Gov. Bobby Jindal being much-discussed as having national political
aspirations, the succession role could come into play with whoever becomes
the next lieutenant governor.

"There's no question that the race has increased importance because of
Jindal's national ambitions," said LSU political scientist Kirby Goidel.

The election will fill the remainder of the current term of Democrat Mitch
Landrieu, who became mayor of New Orleans earlier this year.

The winner would be considered a favorite to win a full term as lieutenant
governor in the 2011 election, Goidel said. And whoever wins that race would
be poised to take over as governor should Jindal be the vice presidential
candidate on a winning 2012 Republican presidential ticket, he said.

"It's an excellent position to try to be the next governor," said Goidel.

Five Republicans and three Democrats are vying for the lieutenant governor's
job, which pays $115,000 a year. The candidates are James "Jim" Crowley,
Secretary of State Jay Dardenne, St. Tammany Parish President Kevin Davis,
Caroline Fayard, state Sen. Butch Gautreaux, Sammy Kershaw, Melanie McKnight
and Roger Villere.

Early voting continues through Saturday in the special election. The primary
election is Oct. 2. If no one gets a majority of the vote, there will be a
Nov. 2 runoff.

None of the candidates would discuss Jindal's prospects and how that might
create stepping stone of sorts to the Governor's Mansion.

But when asked what would qualify them if a Governor's Office vacancy
materialized, they offer a variety of government and life experiences they
say would serve Louisiana well in either the No. 1 or No. 2 job in state
government.

Only two candidates make it clear they have no interest in the governor's
job.

Kershaw said he is ready to step into the top job if he has to.

"But I can make you a guarantee. I would be there just long enough to hold a
special election. My name would not be on that ballot," said Kershaw, who
received 30 percent of the vote in a 2007 bid for lieutenant governor.

McKnight said she does not aspire to be governor.

"Lieutenant governor is my dream job in life," she added.

McKnight, who is running for public office for the first time, is a
nephrologist. She said she is "a loving, caring person" who loves Louisiana.
McKnight said she has administrative experience through managing a dialysis
clinic, a medical practice and non-profit organizations.

She said she brings "a unique point of view" because she has lived all over
Louisiana, in other states and overseas - including time in France, where
she graduated from the Cordon Bleu Cooking School.

Davis said he hasn't thought about what he'd do if the Governor's Office
opened up. But he added that he's qualified to be the state's chief
executive because that's what he's been since 2000 for St. Tammany Parish
government.

"I deal with every one of those issues that the governor deals with - health
care, infrastructure, job creation. That's what I do every day," he said.

Dardenne cites his record as a state senator and chairman of the Louisiana
Senate's Finance Committee dealing with the state operating budget under
former Gov. Mike Foster.

"I have a record of public service and a background of fiscal experience and
integrity and effectiveness that are qualities I think the public ought to
be looking for in a person potentially to be governor," he said.

He also points to the job he's done as secretary of state since winning a
special election in 2006 to head a state agency responsible for running
elections, administering commercial registration, overseeing state archives
and managing some museums.

Gautreaux said that as a legislator serving on the Senate's top state budget
committee and other panels, he has "become very familiar with all state
departments."

Gautreaux chairs a committee overseeing state retirement systems.

"And then there's my business acumen and ability to work with legislators,"
he added. "Historically, I've been able to work with both sides of the
aisle."

Villere points to leadership experience in the civic, business and political
arenas as his strong suit.

He lists roles in various groups and organizations, including a chamber of
commerce, hospital and public television boards, the Jaycees and Boy Scouts.

In politics, Villere noted as a state Republican Party leader he has worked
with elected officials and been involved in many campaigns to get
Republicans elected. He ran for office once - a 1989 failed bid for the
state House of Representatives.

Fayard, a political newcomer, said voters would decide what kind of job she
was doing if she had to step into the governor's role.

"What qualifies me is a diverse background, a variety of experiences and
being tested, whether in law school, working on Wall Street (for
Goldman-Sachs), working at a top law firm, teaching at a law school, where
some of the students were older than I," Fayard said.

"It's about getting in there, learning the correct way of doing things and
being open and honest and transparent with people," she said.

Crowley said his experience as a Caddo Parish police juror would serve him
well as lieutenant governor or as governor if he stepped into that position.

"I'm a former local elected official who has handled virtually all facets of
government," said Crowley, who was on a panel involved in efforts that
brought a General Motors plant to Shreveport.

Crowley has run unsuccessfully for other statewide offices, including
elections commissioner, secretary of state and insurance commissioner.

Crowley said he believes in government transparency. He said he will listen
to the ideas of others and initiate those ideas when feasible.