[StBernard] FOX 8 Defenders helps couple battling insurance company

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 24 09:31:01 EDT 2010

FOX 8 Defenders helps couple battling insurance company
Reported by: Jennifer Hale, Reporter
Email: jhale at fox8tv.net
Last Update: 9/23 11:16 pm

(FOX 8 News) After more than a year of fighting for an auto insurance
settlement, one Chalmette couple almost gave up.

The Galladora's had spent hours struggling to cut through the red tape and
figured they were going to have to accept being victimized again.

But a phone call to the FOX 8 Defenders and the National Council of Jewish
Women changed that.

The Galladora family's truck suffered extensive damage in 2008 when John
Galladora was involved in an accident crossing an intersection.

"A young girl didn't make a stop and hit him. It was an open and closed case
we thought. A policeman came and made a report. Her insurance called and
filed a claim. We thought it's just a matter if time," says Cecilia
Galladora.

John Galladora's wife Cecilia says the other driver's insurance company
asked the couple for an estimate of what it would cost to repair the damages
and then told the Galladora's they'd be back in touch. Cecilia Galladora
says that began a nightmare of back and forth faxes, letters and phone calls
during which time the Galladora's again presented the insurance company with
the police report, the other driver's ticket, their own proof of insurance,
and their damage estimate.

"When we had all the proof in front of them, it was still not good enough,"
Cecilia Galladora says.

After more than a year, the Galladora's still hadn't received a check from
the other driver's insurance company. That insurance company gave several
reasons: that the Galladora's had never filed a claim, they filed the claim
too late and finally because the Galladora's allegedly didn't have their own
auto coverage and that they weren't entitled to this claim. Even after
Cecilia Galladora faxed and mailed copies of her own proof of insurance, the
answer was still "denied".

That's when Cecilia Galladora turned to the FOX 8 Defenders, a new
partnership between FOX 8 and the National Council of Jewish Women.

Babs Isaacson has led the NCJW's efforts to help consumers for the past 16
years. Now she heads up the team of 20 volunteers that make up the FOX 8
Defenders, along with Director Susan Tramontana.

"We listen to consumers problems, and we try to negotiate a solution between
them and the businesses. We always listen to the business's perspective
before we make any decision or recommendation," says Isaacson.

"Sometimes we feel like we're the last person they feel they can turn to.
And if we can help them, there's no greater feeling than helping your fellow
man. It's very important," says Tramontana.

Once Tramontana heard the Galladora's story, the FOX 8 Defenders called the
insurance company.

"Not only did it get taken care of, but I got $500 more than the initial
claim," said Cecilia.

Originally, the Galladora's original damage estimate said it would cost
$2083 to repair their truck. But now with inflation, the price tag has gone
up to $2,503. An amount the insurance company told the FOX 8 Defenders it
would be happy to pay accompanied by an apology for all the Galladora's
trouble.

Call 485-NEWS to reach the "FOX 8 Defenders."