[StBernard] St. Bernard's Good Neighbor Newsletter - Fall 2010

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 29 10:03:51 EDT 2010

Dear Neighborhood Leader,

With the arrival of fall, we can look forward to slower grass growth &
cooler temperatures that will allow more time to work in our yards! Care &
maintenance of the exterior of your house & lawn is a key issue in
neighborhood & curb appeal.

Many of you attended our MRGO Levee Protection tour on Aug. 28th. In fact,
there were 42 people representing 11 neighborhoods who braved the drizzling
rain to see & touch the amazing "Great Wall of St. Bernard" on Aug. 28. If
you missed this tour and would be interested in an upcoming one, please let
me know.

As part of our Neighborhood Initiative, a series of Green Thumb 101
workshops will be held to cover topics such as:

lawn maintenance

tree selection/maintenance

landscaping your "lot next door"

and, herb gardens.

Workshops are FREE & open to all residents!

Join us Sat., Oct. 16 from 9:00am-noon at Trist Middle School for our 1st
workshop entitled "Fall Vegetable Gardening". LSU AgCenter County Agent,
Alan Vaughn, will teach the secrets to a successful & plentiful fall
vegetable garden. Learn what, how, where & when to plant. RSVP by Fri.,
Oct. 8. (Neighborhood leaders/officers are invited to attend a pre-workshop
session as a follow-up to Night Out Against Crime. You MUST pre-register
for this 8:00-8:45am session.)

The Celebrate St. Bernard neighborhood logo has been released! The logo
will be placed on a refrigerator magnet with important "good neighbor"
contact numbers and be funded & distributed by the St. Bernard Community
Foundation. This same logo has been designed on a 5"X5" car magnet with
space for individual association names. (see sample design attached) The
minimum order is 250 and the cost is $235. So, for less than $1.00 each,
you can designate membership in your association or simply residents of your
neighborhood. By ordering now you will save the additional cost of
shipping! Please e-mail or call me to discuss your order.

If your original Celebrate St. Bernard garden flag is getting a little
faded, you can replace it for only $10. Stop by Ladybug's Garden or flag
down either me or Molly Buckley for a replacement. A print of the entire
collection of Celebrate logos will be available just in time for the
Chamber's "Christmas Shop St. Bernard" on Nov 18th. Horizontal & vertical
prints will be available at Art & Frame for $20, signed and numbered by the
artist & suitable for framing.

Speaking of Christmas, the annual Celebrate Community Christmas Parade will
take place on Sat., Dec. 4 at 3pm starting at Chalmette High School and
ending at the Community playground in Torres Park . Local school bands will
be joined by various government units, business/civic sponsored floats and,
of course, Santa & Mrs. Claus and their elves. The parade ends with a FREE
after party at the Playground for families. Neighborhood groups are
encouraged to participate by providing a children's craft activity or by
sponsoring a float for $1,000. Hot chocolate, cookies, caroling and Santa
picture taking opportunities are all part of the festivities. Reserve a
craft activity spot for your neighborhood by Oct. 20. Call me ASAP if you
are interested in a float...maid floats only!

(SHHH! If you're really into the holiday spirit, you'll want to join
Santa's elves as we decorate the 325 oak trees along Judge Perez Dr. from
Arabi to Colonial Blvd. and a few places beyond! Decorating will be done
one night prior to the parade. Let me know if you are interested in being a
secret community elf.)

Compliments of the St. Bernard Community Foundation, I am your neighborhood
resource. I am following local legislation concerning the adoption &
enforcement of codes, zoning ordinances and the Master Plan all which
greatly impact our neighborhoods and our property values. As often as you
are able, get involved by participating in council meetings and committee
discussions.

Please send all RSVPs to me at pollycampbell5 at yahoo.com or 504.554.7134.

Good neighbors make great neighborhoods!

Polly Campbell

Director of Neighborhood Initiatives

St. Bernard Community Foundation

504.554.7134