[StBernard] 6-Month drilling moratorium lifted today

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 12 21:33:50 EDT 2010

6-Month drilling moratorium lifted today

The Obama administration
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101012/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_drilling_moratoriu
m> lifted the moratorium on deep water drilling today, a drilling ban
imposed in the wake of the BP oil spill. The ban would have expired on
November 30th 2010, but was lifted today by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar.
Salazar says that new rules imposed after the spill have strengthened safety
measures and have reduced the risk of a similar catastrophic event.

The new rules include requirements that rigs certify that they have working
blowout preventers and standards for cementing wells. Another requirement
being enforced is the CEO of the company responsible for the well will need
to certify that it has complied with all regulations, making the person at
the top liable for any future accidents.

"Today's decision is a positive step forward for the economic recovery of
the entire Gulf Coast," St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro said
today. "It provides a sense of relief to a region that has been stripped of
so much due to this disaster. I hope to see the federal agencies involved
taking measures to expedite the permit approval process to get our men and
women back to work as soon as possible."