[StBernard] Agreement reached with BP to fund millions towards Louisiana recovery from oil spill

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 3 10:06:54 EDT 2010

Agreement reached with BP to fund millions towards Louisiana recovery from
oil spill

Governor Bobby Jindal held a press conference at Acme Oyster House in New
Orleans this morning, to announce an agreement with BP that will fund
seafood safety and testing efforts, coastal restoration work and tourism
marketing to help revitalize Louisiana and the affected industries from the
BP oil spill.

Governor Jindal was joined by Lt. Governor Scott Angelle, St. Bernard Parish
President Craig Taffaro and other affected parish presidents and council
members, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, as well as Ralph Brennan, Chef
Paul Prudhomme, Galatoire's General Manager Melvin Rodrigue, Louisiana
Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board Chairman Harlon Pearce, Louisiana
Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board Executive Director Ewell Smith, P&J
Oyster Company President Al Sunseri and Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries
Commission member Mike Voisin.

Jindal announced that out of the $48 million total investment agreed upon by
BP, $18 million will be provided over a three year period, at $6 million a
year, for seafood testing of oil, dispersants and other spill-related
impacts on seafood. This funding and the three-year commitment would be
reset upon any oiling that would trigger the closure of fishing areas.

An additional $30 million of the $48 million total will be provided over a
three-year period to the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation for the
marketing of Louisiana gulf seafood. The Louisiana Seafood Promotion and
Marketing Board will manage this funding. This funding and the three-year
commitment also would be reset upon any oiling that would trigger the
closure of fishing areas.

Governor Jindal announced that BP has agreed to fund fish hatchery projects
in Louisiana, with a focus on supporting those seafood species affected by
the spill, and oyster seeding to support the oyster industry as it recovers
from the affects of the oil spill.

Governor Jindal said, "Our most fundamental goals for revitalizing Louisiana
have been to restore our coast and certify that our Louisiana seafood is
safe - and today, we are marking tremendous progress toward those goals.
Louisiana is home to some of the richest and most diverse seafood in the
world, and with today's announcement, and the hard work of those in the
Louisiana seafood industry, we know our seafood will continue to be the best
in the world.

"I am confident that we will absolutely revitalize Louisiana. I want to
invite the entire nation down here to Louisiana to be a part of another
great comeback. Book your ticket today. Come fish, come eat and stay a
while."

BP America Chairman and President Lamar McKay said, "BP is very pleased to
be working cooperatively with Governor Jindal and the state on this road
from response to recovery. The agreement we have signed today is another
example of BP's commitment to doing what is in the best interest of the
state and the people of Louisiana."

St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro said, "These dollars are critical
to protecting our coast from the oil, ensuring the quality of Louisiana
seafood and getting the message out to the rest of the word that Louisiana
not only has the greatest seafood in the world, but also the most vigorously
tested. The oil spill impacted our industries, our coastline and the
livelihoods of Louisianians who rely on what's produced in the Gulf - so
it's good to see we'll get some real support to get our coastal communities
back on track."

The Governor also provided an update on the $360 million sand berm project
to protect Louisiana's coastal areas from the oil spill. Over 10 miles of
sand berm have been built to date, and two more berm segments are scheduled
to be completed within the next two weeks. As part of BP's agreement with
the state for the sand berm project, there is $140 million in remaining
funding. The Governor said that the state has been working on plans to
fortify the temporary sand berms for oil protection so that they become
barrier islands that both block oil and help to restore and protect
Louisiana's coast.

Governor Jindal announced an agreement to commit up to $100 million of the
remaining sand berm funding to convert the sand berms into Louisiana's
historic barrier islands that have eroded. The other $40 million in
remaining berm funds will be dedicated to berm construction, stabilization,
environmental support and other compliance costs associated with the berm
work.

The state is working with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to develop a
plan to conduct restoration projects on the Chandeleur Islands in the
vicinity of the E-4 berm on the east side of the river.

BP has also agreed to compensate the losses in Louisiana's tourism industry
with $30 million in funding. $30 million will be provided to the Louisiana
Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism over three years at $10
million a year, to support the marketing of Louisiana as a tourist
destination. This funding and the three-year commitment also would be reset
upon any oiling that would trigger the closure of fishing areas.

Governor Jindal said, "This $30 million in funding for our tourism industry
is a critical investment for reversing this negative perception from the oil
spill. We must give our communities every tool they need to recover from the
spill and restore our Louisiana way of life, and we know many businesses all
across our state depend on the economic activity generated by tourism."

St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro thanked BP and acknowledged
Governor Jindal for being a tireless leader in this fight. "We have a long
way to go," Taffaro said. "However it's important to recognize the successes
along the way. It's also important to recognize that the men and women who
so diligently tried to protect our culture are seen as something worth
investing in. It's about those men and women and their very livelihoods."