[StBernard] New columnist knows Chalmette is special

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 3 10:14:41 EDT 2010

New columnist knows Chalmette is special
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Becca Chapman

Chalmette Matters
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Becca Chapman and I am here to tell
our stories.

I am the daughter of Margaret and Ron Chapman. I attended Our Lady of Prompt
Succor from first through eighth grades, and St. Mary's Dominican High
School, which is where I first discovered that I had a Chalmette accent.

I earned a bachelor of fine arts degree in theater performance from the
University of Southern Mississippi, where I got weird looks when I asked
where I could find the nearest drive-through daiquiri shop. I am currently
an actor in New Orleans and a company member of The Elm Theatre located on
Julia Street.

Growing up in Chalmette has taught me the true value of community. What
other community has enough culture to do plays about itself? What other
place has macaroni and cheese with red gravy like you can find at Rocky and
Carlo's? Where else can you hear the infamous Chalmette greeting of "How's
ya' mom and 'dem?" Not to mention that, out of all of Louisiana's 64
parishes, everyone knows which one you're referring to when you say "da
parish."

It is with great pride and commitment that I take this position as
Chalmette's neighborhood columnist for the St. Bernard Picayune. I want to
tout the beautiful people that make this place so special. Chalmette,
especially since Aug. 29, 2005, is a community of people with great strength
and humility.

Yes, our community has changed since the storm, but it remains a rich and
exciting place to live. I am thrilled to have this opportunity to meet and
introduce my neighbors, both new and old, to one another.

If you have an idea for a future column about an upcoming event in
Chalmette, or if you know an interesting person that I can highlight, please
do not hesitate to contact me. Remember, no story is too small and we all
have one to tell.

After all, Chalmette Matters.

Becca Chapman lives in Chalmette and writes about people and events in
Chalmette. She can be reached at chalmettematters at gmail.com or 504.481.6516.