[StBernard] The Right Direction

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 9 22:20:29 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

Our commitment to reforming government, cutting taxes, and investing in
infrastructure and other priorities is continuing to pay dividends by
creating jobs for our people. Even as we face challenges as a state and
nation, Louisiana is moving in the right direction.

Just today I joined officials from DG Foods in Bastrop to announce a new
economic development project estimated to create 317 new direct jobs, 936
new indirect jobs, and $9.7 million in capital investment. This is great
news for Bastrop and North Louisiana. As I told the Monroe News-Star
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c6705%7c9390&digest=Ve
P%2byLd7zSX%2fpP36s6hGQQ&sysid=1> , it's always good to create good-paying
jobs in a community where they are desperately needed and while we are not
yet done, this is a great start. Working closely with local leaders across
our state we will continue to work aggressively to pursue more job
opportunities for our workers so they can pursue their dreams right here at
home.

After decades of out migration, for the third straight year Louisiana has
had more people coming in to our state than moving out. Recently, we made
our first appearance in the top ten in rankings for the best business
climate and Southern Business and Development named Louisiana "Co-State of
the Year" due to our significant business investment and job creating
projects. Gallup ranked Louisiana the third best state in the country on
their Job Creation Index and Porfolio.com said we fared better during the
recession than 49 other states and the District of Columbia, as I wrote in
The Daily Advertiser
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c6706%7c9390&digest=%2
b%2bgcjDG2WUcJ7Kw6ojUoYQ&sysid=1> .

We also are continuing to make progress in our stakeholder meetings as we
plan our budget for the coming fiscal year. We've already sat down with
leaders in higher education, elementary and secondary education, healthcare,
and today we're meeting with key legislators. These discussions over the
coming months will be instrumental in formulating our budget. They are a
great opportunity to discuss ideas and listen to suggestions for moving our
state forward.

As Christmas draws nearer, we have much to be thankful for. Every day
brings us more opportunities for the coming generation as Louisiana ascends
the national rankings and creates more jobs for our people.

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal