[StBernard] Taking Time to Give Thanks

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 23 17:45:12 EST 2010

Team,

It's been a rollercoaster ride of a year for many of us, including the Vitter family. With the troubled economy, our nation's debt and fiscal credibility teetering on the brink, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the escalating costs of everyday goods like food and gasoline, each and every Louisianian has felt the strain in one way or another.

Yet as we prepare to spend time with our friends and families during this Christmas season, there's a lot we have to be thankful for. With only a few weeks left in 2010, I thought this was a good time to recap a few things I'm particularly thankful for this year.

Another quiet storm season. We've had some bad years in the past and have been battered in all corners by different storms, but thankfully – this year – no major storms hit Louisiana. Let's hope that our blessings and good fortunes continue and that next year's hurricane season is just as quiet.

It was a black and gold Super Bowl this year! In February, our Saints ended a fairytale season with a 31-17 victory over New Orleans native Peyton Manning's Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV. I think we can all agree that the state is still smiling from that great achievement.

Something about a little U.S. Senate election in Louisiana. Thanks to your countless support, hard work, and dedication, I'm proud to be your U.S. Senator for the next six years. And next year's Congress will look a lot different than this last one. Folks all across the country joined us in sending a message to Washington that we want to go in a much different direction. The new makeup of Congress should provide a real spark in fighting for big ticket items like a drastic reduction in wasteful spending, shrinking the size and scope of the federal government, and repealing Obamacare. I will continue to do all that I can to ensure that you're being effectively represented in Congress, and I'm thankful to serve as your U.S. Senator.

Finally, I'm thankful for my happy, healthy, and loving family. This holiday season I'm looking forward to spending Christmas with my wife Wendy and our kids and counting all of our blessings.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

David Vitter