[StBernard] Daniel Dysart joins 4th Circuit Court of Appeal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 30 00:53:27 EST 2010

Daniel Dysart joins 4th Circuit Court of Appeal

Published: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 9:00 PM

By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune

Daniel Dysart was sworn in Wednesday to the St. Bernard Parish seat on the
state's 4th Circuit Court of Appeal.

Dysart, of Chalmette, was elected Oct. 2 to the seat previously held by
Judge David Gorbaty, who did not seek re-election. The term is for 10 years.

Parish and state officials, lawyers and Dysart's family and friends packed
the upstairs of the at the Frederick J. Sigur Civic Center on West Judge
Perez Drive, for the ceremony.

"I will work real hard. I will prepare real hard. And I will do what is the
fair thing to do at the end of the day," Dysart told the crowd.

Dysart, 55, defeated Jeanne Nunez Juneau in a contentious October election
receiving 54 percent of the vote.

Referring to Juneau's campaign allegations that attempted to portray him as
part of the "old boy'' network that met in "smoke-filled backrooms'' to pick
the judges, Dysart said Tuesday "Things got a little dicey there (during the
election), but we hung in there and took the high road ... and we
prevailed," he said.

The 4th Circuit Court hears cases from Orleans, St. Bernard and Plaquemines
parishes. The court has 12 judges: two from the at-large population of the
three parishes, one each from St. Bernard and Plaquemines, and eight from
Orleans.

C 2010 NOLA.com. All rights reserved.