[StBernard] The Fleming Health Care Repeal Update

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 5 11:34:46 EST 2011

FLEMING HEALTH CARE REPEAL UPDATE
Congressman Fleming Introduces Legislation to Handicap Implementation of New Health Care Reform Law

As you may have heard, the House voted to repeal the new health care reform law, but the Senate failed to do so this week by a vote of 47-51. So, as a recent article in The New England Journal of Medicine pointed out, a step in the right direction is to choke off funding for the new law.

For this reason, I have introduced H.R. 38 <http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=113941-12898391> to rescind the Health Insurance Reform Implementation Fund, a $1 billion fund appropriated as part of the Reconciliation package to pay for federal administrative expenses at the IRS and the Department of Health and Human Services to carry out the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act together with the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU: As of the end of November 2010, $40.8 million of these funds have been obligated to provide for administrative expenses of the Health and Human Services and the IRS to implement the new health care reform law. By rescinding this fund, $900 million would be returned to the treasury, thereby reducing the federal deficit.

While this represents only a small fraction of the astronomical cost of the new health care law, it would have a substantial affect on implementation as it removes the funding source for administrative expenses in carrying out the laws.

THE DOCTOR'S DIAGNOSIS: When government-administered health care reform passed Congress last year, the Democrat majority together with the President, raised all sorts of claims like: it would lower insurance premiums, increase health care access and lower costs. Contrary to these claims, as this law continues to be implemented, insurance premiums continue to rise, health care insurance companies are offering fewer options, some companies will no longer offer insurance, and Medicaid and Medicare are facing significant physician shortages. The American people have spoken clearly that they do not want government-administered health care. It’s time to stop implementing this new health care law and choke it off at the roots. That is why I have introduced H.R. 38, to handicap implementation of this devastating law.

I remain committed to continue to work aggressively in Congress to repeal what I firmly believe to be an onerous and unconstitutional health care reform law and support market-based solutions to our health care needs.

Sincerely,

JOHN FLEMING, M.D.
Member of Congress

P.S. If you’d like more information, please take a minute to visit my website at www.fleming.house.gov <http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=113942-12898391> or follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/repjohnfleming <http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=113943-12898391> or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/repfleming <http://fleming.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=113944-12898391>