[StBernard] St. Bernard neighbors say new construction is destroying wetlands

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 19 16:44:36 EST 2011

As I said, there are always some exceptions, but in general an EA
(Environmental Assessment) is most always minimally required by the COE.
It's required not necessarily because the proposed development is in a
"wetlands" area but because the COE wants to know what (if any) impact the
development will have on what's there. Still, there has been known to be
some wet areas within fast lands - but it's usually very small. But rarely
(and I don't know of any) has there been any project denied because of that.
Typically what happens to a small wet area within fast lands is the COE
allows the project to proceed, but with mitigation - and even then the
amount of mitigation is usually negotiated down so much to the point where
it's negligible to the developer. At least that's based on my many years of
working with COE.