[StBernard] Housing tussle in St. Bernard continues

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 8 19:11:38 EST 2011

Go to hell James Perry

-----Original Message-----
GNOFHAC Executive Director James Perry comments, "We are profoundly
disappointed in Mr. Taffaro and other parish leaders for what is another
backwards and wrongheaded step by the Parish to limit housing opportunities
for people of color. We will continue to advocate in court and through HUD's
processes until there is fair housing choice in St. Bernard Parish."
***************
Well, *who* has the agenda here? Is Mr. Perry stating that only black
people
(people of color? What are Caucasians?) are eligible to rent these apts.?
Is that
one of the criteria required by the Feds or something? Perhaps Mr. Perry
should
be interviewed further about this.

Perry countered the assertion of surplus housing, citing statistics that 40
percent of pre-Katrina St. Bernard residents say that lack of housing is one
of the factors that prevents them from returning to the parish.
***************
Could Mr. Perry cite the source of those "statistics" or did the interviewer
ask or
did he just invent them?

Additionally, Perry argued, a "state-of-the-art" hospital is being built
within walking distance of the Provident development, which means that the
new homes would be suitable for the facility's staff.
***************
Yes, that was very convenient for the M.F. how one piece of property for the
hospital
at another location became unavailable or not suitable and then by the
sheerest of
happenstances the MF decides to donate this piece of property right by the
apts.

It is already being talked about by parish residents that *if* HUD wants to
pull the money for the hospital or
whatever, let them do it. I'm of mixed opinion about it at this point. Due
to a lack of real choice in doctors,
I believe most people have found physicians outside the parish that have
admitting privileges to
other hospitals in the area. If given the choice of "either/or" the choice
might surprise folks.

JY