[StBernard] Breaking Ground To Create More New Jobs

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 10 15:54:09 EST 2011

Dear Friends -

On Monday, we marked the groundbreaking for the first phase of the Nucor
Steel project in St. James Parish - which will be one of the largest
industrial projects in Louisiana history. There will be a total of up to
five phases for the project and the first phase alone will create up to 500
construction jobs, 150 permanent jobs with a $750 million capital
investment. The entire project could result in 1,250 new, direct jobs with
$3.4 billion in capital investment. As I told WWL-TV
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7655%7c9390&digest=SD
MQqDR7q99l80xiyxHllQ&sysid=1> , Monday was a great day for St. James Parish
and a great day for our state.

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/JindalNucor.jp
g> We've worked for three years to bring Nucor to Louisiana and we're
absolutely thrilled to break ground on this huge project. As the Associated
Press
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7656%7c9390&digest=B5
K1rJ24DPfh%2fPkFnYonzA&sysid=1> reported, Nucor considered other sites for
this project, including one in Brazil, which demonstrates just how important
it is that we make smart decisions about the kind of policies we adopt that
help businesses grow and succeed. Keeping a business friendly economic
climate and training a workforce ready to compete in the 21st century
workforce were key factors in Nucor's decision to come to Louisiana.

We were also happy to read in the Baton Rouge Business Report
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7657%7c9390&digest=jP
ER7lk2sGvoeJDg%2bpn4kQ&sysid=1> that the Kauffman Foundation has ranked
Louisiana fourth in the nation for new business startups in 2010. Since
coming into office we have worked tirelessly to bring new businesses to our
great state so that our people can pursue their dreams right here in
Louisiana.

Finally, our thoughts and prayers are with the many folks who have been
impacted by the severe weather passing through our state. We mobilized first
responders and resources immediately so we could help our local partners
respond to the storms. Following the devastating tornadoes in Rayne this
past weekend I visited the community and met with local officials as well as
some of the families who lost their homes. As the Monroe News-Star
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c7658%7c9390&digest=94
YZEnHEe53UEe1ClZmfZQ&sysid=1> reported, I said these are strong people and
I know we are going to rebuild back better and stronger than we were before.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal