[StBernard] We're from the government and we'er here to help

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 10 17:21:47 EST 2011

Most merchants have this factored into their prices already. Remember, any
fees or taxes collected by a business are not really paid by the business
but are simply passed-thru from the customer.

In a more detailed look, but still simple terms, a credit/debit card
transaction will cost typically cost 30 cents per transaction plus 2.5% of
the value of the transaction. The merchant also pays a monthly fee that
starts at $12.00 month and can go much higher depending on equipment rental
fees.

Where this will really hurt is with retail stores that rely on impulse
purchases and gas stations. With a tank of gas for even small fuel-efficient
cars topping $50, this could hurt the economy even more.

The GAO, as it has for a couple of decades now, is trying to get rid of
dollar bills in favor of dollar coins. If people start switching to cash,
they will want more dollar bills because coins are too heavy (no one will
ever agree with those who suggest we should even drop pennies and nickels by
just rounding everything to a quarter).

This is one of those changes in the law that a bureaucrat dreams up with no
idea of how it will impact the common man on the street. If you walk around
with a black label American Express for those few times that you actually
have to pay for something yourself, as opposed to having a lobbyist pay it
for you, how can you begin to know the real struggles of Joe the Plumber?

Westley