[StBernard] HORNETS AND BP DEDICATE REFURBISHED BASKETBALL COURT AT VIOLET PARK

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 25 21:03:49 EDT 2011

HORNETS AND BP DEDICATE REFURBISHED BASKETBALL COURT AT VIOLET PARK

Hornets and BP partnership to refurbish six basketball courts in south
Louisiana

The New Orleans Hornets are teaming up with BP to refurbish six basketball
courts in South Louisiana, providing safe and updated playgrounds for local
communities to enjoy, including one at Violet Park in St. Bernard Parish.
St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr., Hornets player Jarrett
Jack, Hornets President Hugh Weber, BP Vice President of Resources Darryl
Willis, Hugo, and other dignitaries attended a court dedication Friday,
March 18 at Violet Park.

"We are excited to be able to work with BP to refurbish these six basketball
courts and allow our neighbors to experience a little bit of Hornets
Basketball in their backyard," said Hornets President Hugh Weber. "Having a
renovated court will help these communities come together to play, exercise
and enjoy the great game of basketball. This is just one more way both
organizations can contribute to the improvement of the areas in which we
live, work and call home."

"We feel fortunate that the Hornets Foundation chose to use some of the BP
allocation to assist the St. Bernard community," St. Bernard Parish Craig
Taffaro said. "This is another example of the benefits of a productive
partnership in the community. We were happy to work with Councilman Wayne
Landry, Fred Everhardt and the entire council in making this a reality."

The six court refurbishments will take place in Plaquemines, Jefferson, St.
Bernard, Lafourche, Terrebonne and Orleans Parishes throughout the first
couple weeks of March. Each court will feature glass backboards, brand new
rims and will be painted to replicate the Hornets court at the New Orleans
Arena with the BP logo placed on both sidelines.

"BP has a long history of partnering and investing with businesses and
organizations in Louisiana," said BP's Vice President of Resources, Darryl
Willis. "We welcomed this new opportunity to join the Hornet's winning team
and consider it an honor to fund the refurbishment of these basketball
courts. We hope they will see a lot of action and be safe places people can
have healthy fun for years to come."

###