[StBernard] New Val Riess

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 17 18:54:19 EDT 2011

You're probably correct, DB. I walked that path for over 10 years and it was
more like a walk through OZ without the color yellow. It was then
uncomfortable; 3/4's was in the hot sun and cement uncertainty.

It's probably newer with fewer cracks, but with a beaucoup of certainty in
itself of the great degree of money placed elsewhere by decision-makers. To
some, a path is not as important as a ball-field with superior grass over
normal grass, or a clubhouse for socializing and giving trophies over a bike
path.

OR, the money intended could be aimed at some other department or agency in
the government, totally unrelated to athletics or recreation.
Accountability, and those responsible should be asked where the money was
spent or used elsewhere, perhaps for those in charge' personal favoritism.

I understand the concern about a smaller path. However, if promised
previously, a "replacement feature" such as the ability to ride a bike in
safety away from riding it in the street IS a concern. Skating in the park
is a wise choice where now lots have missing sidewalks or streets make it
unsafe. Scooters (non-motorized) and skateboards are in the same mix as
skating.

The truth probably lies somewhere about the youth getting the best of the
park's attention in ball-play, while the elderly just need walking to be
done. Hey, I wouldn't have minded riding a bike or skating for exercise as
well at my age.

Those responsible could range from Craig to the recreation department
director in St. Bernard parish. John Scurich would know more about
recreation policy.

And, it most importantly is NOT just your thoughts. It IS your concerns.

--jer--

Hey got a question about the new val riess park. The park looks great but my
only concern is the newly cemented walkway around the park. I though I read
sometime back before the construction started that the walkway would be like
it is in Audubon Park. For walkers, joggers, skaters and bicyclist. Does
anyone else remember anything about this? Well I rode my bicycle over there
and I noticed two very new signs stating "NO" skating, bicycles, scooters. I
was very surprised to see the signs. I feel that the park was rebuilt with
federal funds "our tax dollars" why wouldn't it be available for everyone. I
was hoping to bike ride there with my granddaughter and grandson who are
learning how to ride bikes. The cement is wider than the original and it
could have been made wider like it is in Audubon Park thus accommodating
everyone.

Just my thoughts,
DB