[StBernard] Requiring School Board Members to Substitute Teach Legislative Follow Up

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 19 21:07:25 EDT 2011

I didn't have the votes in the House Education Committee to pass HB 403, so
I agreed to convert it to an urge and request resolution.

I am planning on working with School Board members to implement a "teacher
for a day" program voluntarily and plan on including other public officials,
including legislators. One of the witnesses who testified in favor of the
bill was a former school teacher who participated in a similar program in
Lafourche Parish. Another witness worked on a similar program for state
officials. Both reported very positive results.

I really appreciated all of the comments and interest in this bill, and I am
hoping that this voluntary approach can yield the same positive results.