[StBernard] FOUNDING FATHERS WERE WISE - KEEP ELECTORAL COLLEGE

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jun 4 07:03:15 EDT 2011

It never ceases to amaze me how wise our founding fathers were, all
accomplished and distinguished men who created our great nation. They were
well aware of the tyranny of absolute power and established a government
with checks and balances and shared power. One important aspect of this
shared power is the electoral college, which apportions Presidential
electors based on Congressional districts. This way, all states can
participate meaningfully in the election of the President. Without the
electoral college, the Presidential candidates would focus on the larger
states and urban areas and the other states, including Louisiana, could
easily become irrelevant. The legislature will be considering HB 388 shortly
to provide for election of the President by popular vote.

Although I am planning to vote against the bill, I am certainly interested
in your thoughts.

Tim Burns