[StBernard] FEMA FUNDS REPLACEMENT OF WATER METERS THROUGHOUT ST. BERNARD

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 14 20:39:29 EDT 2011

FEMA FUNDS REPLACEMENT OF WATER METERS THROUGHOUT ST. BERNARD

NEW ORLEANS - The Federal Emergency Management Agency recently announced
nearly $5.4 million in recovery funds to St. Bernard Parish, covering costs
for the replacements of Katrina-damaged water meters.

"Functioning water meters are essential for normal community operations,"
said FEMA's Louisiana Recovery Office Deputy Director of Programs Andre
Cadogan. "Katrina basically destroyed thousands of water meters located on
residential, public and commercial properties throughout St. Bernard Parish.
All of the damaged meters warranted replacements so that the parish could
continue to monitor and invoice water consumption levels following the
storm."

St. Bernard Parish began replacing damaged meters as residents returned and
requested their services resume. FEMA's recent $5.4 million grant provides
reimbursement for the recovery work taken to replace the damaged meters.

Cadogan added, "St. Bernard's restoration efforts continue to lure former
residents and new residents into the revitalized community. The reliability
of new, accurate water meters post-Katrina is just one more 'tool of
measurement' throughout their unprecedented recovery."

"We are grateful for the partnerships that continue to work on our recovery
related projects," St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr. said.

To date, FEMA has obligated approximately $1.6 billion in Public Assistance
funding for Katrina and Rita related recovery work throughout St. Bernard
Parish.

When FEMA approves projects through its supplemental Public Assistance
grant, the funds are made available to the Governor's Office of Homeland
Security & Emergency Preparedness, who disburses them to the applicant for
eligible work completed.

The Public Assistance program works with state and local officials to fund
recovery measures and the rebuilding of government and certain private
nonprofit organizations' buildings, as well as roads, bridges and water and
sewer plants. In order for the process to be successful, federal, state and
local partners coordinate to draw up project plans, fund these projects and
oversee their completion.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure
that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our
capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and
mitigate all hazards.

###