[StBernard] St. Bernard Seafood and Farmers Market's First Art & Wine Walk draws crowds and raves

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 12 18:11:20 EDT 2011

St. Bernard Seafood and Farmers Market’s First Art & Wine Walk draws crowds
and raves

Next Art & Wine Walk to be Sept. 12; applications from interested vendors
being accepted

Community members from St. Bernard Parish and surrounding areas took to the
streets for St. Bernard Seafood & Farmers Market’s first ever Art & Wine
Walk on Thursday evening, August 11, from 5 to 8 p.m.

“We weren’t sure how it would turn out with the heat, but we estimate that
around 300 patrons visited the new event,” Market Manager Ashley Proze said.

“This is a great community event,” St. Bernard Parish President Craig P.
Taffaro, Jr. said. “We have a great facility, and we thought about how else
we could market it. The event is another way of bringing the neighborhood
alive. The real basis for our recovery and our growth into the future is
putting people together. These types of events do just that. They bring
people together to enjoy and to celebrate the wonderful work that is going
on.”

The Art & Wine Walks will be held on the second Thursday of each month at
the Aycock Barn in Historic Old Arabi, which is also home to the St. Bernard
Parish Visitor Information Center and weekly Saturday Seafood & Farmers
Market. At the inaugural Art & Wine Walk, several different wines provided
by a local wine distributor, Michael Scaglione, were available to patrons to
enjoy as they browsed the Market.

The work of area artists were featured at the event, including pieces by
Dana Sherlock, Elaine Hodges, and many other members of the St. Bernard Art
Guild. Additionally, more than 20 craft vendors were present showcasing and
selling their unique talents.

Delicious culinary favorites were served by several local restaurants
including Arabi Food Store, Touché Café, Riverbend Bistro and Rocky &
Carlo’s. Barker’s Dozen and Mable Stewart with Grammy’s Pralines were also
there to offer savory desserts for patrons.

Live entertainment was provided by Market favorites Desmian Barnes and Robin
Barnes of The Soul Heirs. The siblings’ jazzy-style filled Aycock Barn and
provided great background music for customers as they shopped and mingled
during the event.

“We are truly excited about the great success we had with our first event.
We cannot wait to see this event continue to be a terrific community
gathering that showcases the many talented people here in our own area.
We’re constantly trying to market to our own residents, and to get them to
see what great things we have here,” Proze said.

The St. Bernard Seafood and Farmers Market will host the monthly Art and
Wine Walks to showcase various artistic and culinary talents prevalent in
St. Bernard Parish. Local artists, crafters and restaurants are encouraged
to participate in future events.

Vendor and restaurant applications for the next Art & Wine Walk on Thursday,
September 12 are now being accepted. The deadline for applications will be
Friday, September 2 at 5 p.m. To become a vendor, please contact Market
Manager Ashley Proze at 504-355-4442 or stop by the Visitor Information
Center at 409 Aycock Street in Arabi, Louisiana. The market can be accessed
off of St. Claude Avenue by turning south at the signs that say St. Bernard
Visitor Center and Seafood and Farmers Market.

###