[StBernard] Two Events in St. Bernard Parish to Commemorate 6th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina: Commemorative Service Aug. 28; Breakfast Aug. 29

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 17 12:41:18 EDT 2011

Two Events in St. Bernard Parish to Commemorate 6th Anniversary of Hurricane
Katrina

Commemorative Service to be Sunday, August 28 at 7:30 a.m.

Day of Reflection Breakfast to be Monday, August 29 at 8:30 a.m.

St. Bernard Parish Government will hold its 6th annual Hurricane Katrina
Commemorative Ceremony at the Katrina Memorial Monument in Shell Beach at
the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. The event to remember the 163 St. Bernard
residents who lost their lives due to Katrina will be Sunday, August 28 at
7:30 a.m.

"As we approach the sixth year of commemorating Hurricane Katrina, I would
like to again take the opportunity to acknowledge the many residents,
business owners, responders, and volunteers for their commitment to St.
Bernard Parish," St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said.
"We have said for some time now that there is much to be done and something
for everyone to do. That certainly has not changed, and as we turn the
corner on another year, it is comforting to know that we will make it.
Congratulations to all who have participated in the Recovery and Growth of
St. Bernard Parish, and we remember all those who have passed on as a result
of Katrina and her aftermath."

In addition to the Parish Government Commemorative event on Sunday, August
28, the School Board will hold its annual Day of Reflection Breakfast
Monday, August 29 at 8:30 a.m. in the Chalmette High School Lacoste Campus
Gymnasium at 1101 E. Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette. Tickets will cost a
nominal fee of $10 each. Tickets will be sold on a first-come, first-served
basis and must be purchased in advanced as seating will be limited. Tickets
will not be sold at the door. For additional information, contact Shelby
Harrison at 301-2000 or sharrison at sbpsb.org.

For more information about the Parish Government Commemorative Event at
Shell Beach, please call President Taffaro's office at 504-278-4227 or
contact Karen Bazile at kbazile at sbpg.net. To learn more about our growth and
recovery, visit www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net> .

###