[StBernard] St. Bernard Elections

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 28 12:11:19 EDT 2011

SJK,

Membership on the Meraux Foundation or other boards is an important
question. Another one I just realized needs to asked of all candidates, what
type of training will new deputies need to undergo before being sworn in as
deputies? Will they require new deputies to undergo state POST (Peace
Officer Standards and Training) training? How many deputies will undergo the
necessary training to carry a tazer?

Let's face it, the population of St. Bernard is markedly different
post-Katrina. The pockets of criminal activity is in new neighborhoods and
hasn't firmly established itself like it was pre-Katrina. Plus, there is a
new outside criminal that St. Bernard didn't have to deal with before.

Sticking with the status quo for sheriff would be a bad action to take this
election.

Personally, I would look to the candidate that has more experience outside
of St. Bernard. Someone who may have a better network of other high-ranking
police officers he can contact for advice.

And, someone who can handle more pressure than the softball questions that
are posted on this list (yep, that is a direct jab at Wayne Landry just in
case anyone was wondering).

Westley