[StBernard] St. Bernard Elections

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 29 15:46:00 EDT 2011

Apparently they already have some Tasers and want some more.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/11/st_bernard_parish_sheriffs_off_9
.html

And Westley, name me one *substantive* question regarding the sheriff's
position that was asked of Landry on this list? I don't include placement
of political signs as substantive as that seems to be an issue
everywhere:

http://tinyurl.com/3hrfkhw

Speaking of candidates, I was the one who talked to Wayne about subscribing
to this list so he could be available to answer any questions the
listmembers might have. Have you attempted to contact any of the other
candidates to make themselves available here, including your apparent choice
Barry Bernados? Pohlmann? Chad Clark?

JY

SJK,

Membership on the Meraux Foundation or other boards is an important
question. Another one I just realized needs to asked of all
candidates, what
type of training will new deputies need to undergo before being
sworn in as
deputies? Will they require new deputies to undergo state POST
(Peace
Officer Standards and Training) training? How many deputies will
undergo the
necessary training to carry a tazer?

Let's face it, the population of St. Bernard is markedly different
post-Katrina. The pockets of criminal activity is in new
neighborhoods and
hasn't firmly established itself like it was pre-Katrina. Plus,
there is a
new outside criminal that St. Bernard didn't have to deal with
before.

Sticking with the status quo for sheriff would be a bad action to
take this
election.

Personally, I would look to the candidate that has more experience
outside
of St. Bernard. Someone who may have a better network of other
high-ranking
police officers he can contact for advice.

And, someone who can handle more pressure than the softball
questions that
are posted on this list (yep, that is a direct jab at Wayne Landry
just in
case anyone was wondering).

Westley