[StBernard] Mudslinging Begins In St. Bernard Parish Race

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 22 08:00:09 EDT 2011

Mudslinging Begins In St. Bernard Parish Race

Wayne Landry Levels Allegations Against James Pohlmann, Supporters

POSTED: 5:46 pm CDT September 21, 2011

UPDATED: 11:22 pm CDT September 21, 2011

ST. BERNARD PARISH, La. -- The mudslinging started in one Southern Louisiana
political race on Wednesday after one man running to be the next St. Bernard
Parish sheriff ran new campaign ads that pack an explosive punch.

Barry Bernadas, Chad Clark, Wayne Landry and James Pohlmann are in the race
for the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office, and now Landry is leveling big
allegations against Pohlmann and his supporters.

The controversy centers on the Meraux Foundation, which controls millions of
dollars in St. Bernard Parish that are supposed to be bequeathed to
charitable causes.

In Landry's campaign ads, he says he wants to know who controls the fund and
how the money is spent.

"I believe that's one of the biggest issues of this campaign," he said.
"It's symbolic of what goes on in our sheriff's office. It's a foundation
set up to benefit all of the people in St. Bernard Parish, but the fact of
the matter is it only benefited a select few."

The foundation, a Chalmette-based group that controls tens of millions of
dollars in assets, land and real estate in the area, has come under scrutiny
over how it was set up, how board members were appointed and how it managed
money.

Landry said the board is the Who's Who of those politically connected in the
parish. Last year, the foundation paid more than $500,000 in salaries.
However, according to the filings, the group paid out only $353,000 to
charitable causes, the largest recipients of which were the St. Bernard
Parish government and a college tuition program.

Members Sheriff Jack Stephens and Chalmette Attorney Sal Gutierrez resigned
from the foundation board Wednesday, the foundation said.

The Meraux Foundation declined to comment on the ads.

Arlene Meraux's daughter said her mother was pressured to sign over her
fortune after Stephens ordered his chief deputy, Pohlmann, to go to Chicago
and bring Meraux back to St. Bernard's Parish.

Meraux left her estate to a foundation to benefit the people of St. Bernard
Parish instead of her family via the Meraux Foundation. It's an endowment
that's come under increased scrutiny, and Pohlmann now finds himself in the
middle of it.

The ad states Meraux's daughter, Cheryl Cannella, claims, "Jimmy Pohlmann
came to Chicago and took my grandmother against her will. Their motivation
was to steal the Meraux fortune."

Pohlmann released a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying, "The commercial
is despicable. It is a gross distortion of the facts, and Wayne Landry knows
it. I was assigned to provide security for Arlene Meraux. That's the fact.
Wayne Landry has proven that he has no regard for the truth or the law in
his desperate attempt to gain votes."

Pohlmann said he expected these ads, especially when he heard Landry's camp
had traveled to Chicago to sit down with Meraux's daughter.

On Wednesday, Pohlmann responded, "Lies, flat-out lies."

When she died, Meraux left millions in real estate and other holdings to the
endowment managed by several high-profile St. Bernard Parish residents,
including Stephens. According to court documents, her daughter was
disinherited.

In the ad, Cannella said, "They wanted all that money -- that's all that
they wanted. And they'll do anything to get it."

Pohlmann said everything stems from a trip to Chicago in 2002.

Pohlmann said the sheriff told him to accompany Meraux's niece, Rita Gue,
and Meraux's daughter home.

"The deal was she was supposed to come back. The family refused to let her
come back. There was a court order issued that she was to be returned in
five days. They did not comply with that court order, so I accompanied Ms.
Gue to go up there and pick her up," Pohlmann said.

Pohlmann said he was just doing his job. His opponent disagreed.

"I was doing my job. It's as simple as that. Listen, we work in a
paramilitary organization. When you get an assignment, you fulfill your
assignment. It's as simple as that," said Pohlmann.

"Here's the problem," said Landry. "The sheriff of St. Bernard Parish, or
any parish, does not have the authority to send Jimmy Pohlmann and a group
of people on a private jet to go to Chicago and bring back someone against
their will. And the bigger part of the problem that I have with that is if
Mr. Pohlmann doesn't understand that that is an abuse of power of the
sheriff's department, then that tells me he doesn't know the difference
between right and wrong, between using that power, and he shouldn't be the
sheriff."

"I think this is a last-ditch effort for him to rise in the polls. If he
can't rise in the polls, I think he is going to take my numbers down. I
think that is a desperate act, and I'm not surprised," said Pohlmann.

Pohlmann added that the the Chicago trip was made before the Meraux
Foundation was even in place.

"Since it was created, I have had nothing to do with the foundation, never
benefited from the foundation and have not been interested in the
foundation," Pohlmann said.

Landry said the ads are just a woman telling a story that finally needs to
come out.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/politics/29259985/detail.html#ixzz1YgL3Y3xV