[StBernard] St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro expands role of Fisheries Director Ricky Melerine in response to Kenneth Feinberg's efforts reconfigure impacted shrimp fishermen's compensation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 28 08:13:07 EDT 2011

St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro expands role of Fisheries Director Ricky
Melerine in response

to Kenneth Feinberg's efforts reconfigure impacted shrimp fishermen's
compensation

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. announced that in
response to the latest disclosure of Kenneth Feinberg to reconfigure how
compensation will be handled to impacted shrimp fishermen, he is expanding
the role of the Director of Fisheries, Ricky Melerine.

"During the BP Oil Spill and for nearly a year following the spill, we
continued to plead with BP and Mr. Feinberg that his formula just wasn't
going to adequately address the needs of our commercial fishermen and that
the need to push more funds to the impacted fishermen was critical"
explained Taffaro. Taffaro explained that Melerine's expanded role will not
only continue to address programs related to fisheries and economic
development programs for the commercial fishing and processing industry but
now will include oversight to the additional coastal restoration funding
anticipated from Coastal Impact Assistance Program and restoration funding
from the long term recovery and emergency restoration allocations from BP.

Taffaro announced that both much needed oyster cultch and shoreline
restoration activities will be the primary focus of this funding and that
this will be in addition to the current oyster basket projects underway in
St. Bernard with Coastal Environments, Inc. to establish oyster reef blocks
as a means to rebuild shoreline.

"With all these programs our absolute priority is to engage our local
fishermen. Having Ricky (Melerine) in place will provide added credibility
to ensuring that our local fishermen are treated fairly, Taffaro said.
"While the long term impact of the spill continues to unfold, we have to
stand up for and guard against out of state contractors taking all the
work", expressed Melerine. "As long as I am around, I can guarantee that
Craig and I will fight to keep our fishermen in place. This is as important
as anything we can do as part of our recovery," committed Melerine.

Oyster seeding continues to take place from the first two rounds of funding
through the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries program with one project in the
Half Moon Bayou area and the other in the Black Bay area. Additional
funding in the range of $25 million as part of an agreement between St.
Bernard and the Governor's Office is available. Reprogrammed diversion funds
and a request of $110 million and nearly $300 million in the BP restoration
projects are in process.

Taffaro reports that these program requests are the result of months of
planning and review with the state's Office of Natural Resources and the Oil
Spill task force. Louisiana has led the way in project requests as part of
being better prepared and scoping restoration work even before the spill.
According to Garret Graves of the state office, Louisiana has always made
coastal restoration a priority which allowed projects in the face of the
spill to advance more quickly through the process. While no money has been
released from the BP $1 billion of early restoration funds, St. Bernard has
continued to remain engaged with Governor Jindal's office to prepare for any
projects that are released.

###