[StBernard] Campaign For Sheriff Gets Heated In St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 8 08:16:19 EST 2011

Campaign For Sheriff Gets Heated In St. Bernard Parish

Landry Camp Says Pohlmann Staffer Took Down Campaign Signs

POSTED: 6:04 pm CST November 7, 2011

UPDATED: 6:17 pm CST November 7, 2011

CHALMETTE, La. -- Several runoff elections are getting heated in St. Bernard
Parish.

Officials said there was a confrontation over political signs this weekend.

Investigators say a campaign worker for sheriff candidate James Polhmann
took down signs supporting candidate Wayne Landy just after they were
erected.

The Landry campaign called it intimidation and a violation of First
Amendment rights.

"I can cite the law and the law says if it's reasonable to make that
assumption then there is no ethics violation for whoever puts out signs like
that. The First Amendment rights trump all of those laws," Landry said.

The Pohlmann camp said the signs violate election code by linking Pohlmann
to someone else.

They said it was an attempt to mislead voters, so they took them down.

"The law clearly states that no one can place a sign or any type of
literature saying that one candidate is supported by another candidate,
without any type of statement from me or the other candidate," Polhmann
said.

State police confirmed that they received a complaint about the matter and
it's under review.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/politics/29707539/detail.html#ixzz1d7SsQ3px