[StBernard] Vote challenges upset many St. Bernard residents

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 08:38:30 EST 2011

Vote challenges upset many St. Bernard residents

Video 1 of 1All Video
St. Bernard Sheriff runoff election heats up

Print Story Published: 11/18 6:52 pm Share Updated: 11/18 8:17 pm
Chalmette -- The St. Bernard Parish Registrar of Voters had no choice but to
answer questions as voters showed up in numbers demanding to know why their
votes were in question.

"Didn't we already prove it when we voted twice before," asked one voter
waiting in line to verify his identity and home address. "Absolutely,"
answered another, "My vote counted in October but no it doesn't count
today."

79-year-old Dorothy Garrett said she can't believe she suffered through
displacement post-Katrina, only to be slapped with a letter challenging the
early vote she cast over a week ago. "I got so angry because I said here I
am been living down here 25 years. This is the letter they sent me and then
they said my vote was being checked so I got real upset, I was real upset,"
she said.

Garrett said she stayed with different relatives because her home had been
extensively damaged by the storm.she even lived in a trailer while she
waited for housing sleeping on a couch. "I lived in a little one bedroom
duplex in front of my trailer in New Orleans, I mean if you're doing
something wrong that's one thing but if you're not you shouldn't be
punished," she said.

Garrett is among many of these voters who feel they've gotten caught up in
politics between candidates Wayne Landry and Jimmy Pohlmann both running for
the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's seat.

"Man this was more than upsetting it was like they were trying to
disenfranchise our vote," said one voter.

One resident wanted to know whether his vote would count. "If they're going
to challenge these votes, am I going get another opportunity to re-vote
since I'm having to prove that I am who I say I am and that I live where I
say I live," he questioned. The Registrar of Voters Velma Bourg reassured
the angry voters their votes would count.

She said the District Attorney will be reviewing each case Saturday
afternoon at 1 pm. The meeting will be held in council chambers at 8201 West
Judge Perez.

"He will be able to help the board make the decisions on these challenges,"
she said.