[StBernard] Election Endorsements - Recap

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 22 08:28:45 EST 2011

Syl, Howard's loss was due to starting too late - simple as that. He really
did not get things moving in his campaign until after qualifying. If he had
just started in mid-July and had a good push at the beginning, he could have
won. Richie Lewis started hitting doors and had lots of signs out before
the end of June, and so did Mumphrey - and a majority of his votes went to
Lewis. I'm thinking Howard did not want to give up his JP position any
sooner than he had to, but those are the kinds of sacrifices you have to
make if you want to assure yourself of victory. Believe me, this was a
case of the early bird getting the worm and simply holding on to it till
election day. Plus, Richie Lewis hit every door in "C" at least twice and
many of them three times, phone banked and had about 25 different people
knocking the streets they lived on. It was good old fashioned grass roots
campaigning - that's what won it for Richie.