[StBernard] Welcoming a more conservative Louisiana legislature

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 22 08:40:11 EST 2011

The elections for our Louisiana legislature are officially over and I'm personally very enthusiastic about the results.

The Louisiana Committee for a Republican Majority, a campaign organization I work with, fought aggressively to grow our conservative majorities. After last weekend's elections, significantly expanded Republican majorities will now serve in our Louisiana legislature – with 58 Republicans now in the House and 24 Republicans now in the Senate.

That's up from 52 House Republicans and 20 Senate Republicans in February. What's even more impressive is that when LCRM originated in 2005, there were only 40 House Republicans and 16 Senate Republicans.

We've come a very long way in that short six year period. And rest assured, this was no easy task.

And there is no doubt that Louisiana's legislature is composed of more reformers who favor smaller, smarter government.

But we cannot forget the biggest reason for this improvement. You. With your support and your vote, Louisiana made clear strides toward creating an environment that's more receptive to job creation and more critical of wasteful spending, excessive regulation and tax increases.

Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm. Now let's make sure that Baton Rouge changes its business as usual and gets out of the way so Louisiana can grow and succeed.

David Vitter