[StBernard] RESTORE Act passes Senate

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 9 07:36:00 EST 2012

Dear friend,

The U.S. Senate today passed the RESTORE Act, bringing us very close to achieving justice for the Gulf Coast. As an amendment to the Senate transportation bill, the RESTORE Act earned great bipartisan support, passing 76 – 22.
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=2100085121.35070.601&gen=1&mailing_linkid=57734>

In voting for this legislation, the Senate agreed that 80 percent of BP penalties, paid under the Clean Water Act, should be directed to the Gulf Coast, the place where the injury occurred. Where 11 men lost their lives – we still mourn their loss – where our marshes and our beaches were devastated and where the economy was shut down for a period of time, losing billions of dollars for our area – this is where the money should go.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=2100085121.35070.601&gen=1&mailing_linkid=57735> The Senate also said some of those fines should go to establish an Oceans Trust Fund for the first time in our nation’s history, and should also go to support critical programs for all 50 states for the Land and Water Conservation Fund. This was a balanced and fiscally responsible compromise, benefitting both the environment and the businesses that depend on the Gulf Coast. This was a tremendous victory for our country, and I am pleased to be a part of it.

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., and I introduced the RESTORE Act in July 2011. Joining us as original cosponsors of the legislation were Sens. David Vitter, R-La.; Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.; Thad Cochran, R-Miss.; Roger Wicker, R-Miss.; Bill Nelson, D-Fla.; Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; and Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas. A version of the RESTORE Act, introduced by Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., passed the House last month.

We have great support in Congress for this legislation, and I thank you for your support as well. See below for more information.

All the best,
Senator Landrieu