[StBernard] Bill raising telephone fees to support 911 service is approved by Senate committee

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 6 07:33:37 EDT 2012

Two points in response. First, should the bill pass through the
legislature, this will go on the ballot and the voters of St. Bernard parish
will decide if they want this increase AND the suggested increase will put
St. Bernard telecommunication users at the same fees/taxes charged in
surrounding parishes - not any higher. In fact, it will still be less than
some other parishes.

Second, just be aware that the 911 District is seriously "under" funded and
there is no mandate or obligation on the Parish Government or the State to
fund the shortfall. Considering the revenue shortfall will soon become a
substantial amount and the FEMA gravy train (funds) is just about coming to
an end, the Parish Government will soon find itself with revenue and
budgeting problems - so I would not be looking to the Parish Government to
make up the difference. Simply put, the bottom line to all this will be
whether or not the people of St. Bernard want 911 services. The voters
will get to determine that!

Also, as the population of St. Bernard parish continues to grow, that will
create a larger population base (thus telecommunication user base) and
increase the total revenue from these fees. We can then seek to have the
fees lowered to account for the revenue base increase.

I'll predict if it this increase does not pass, then the 911 District and
the service it provides will be history within a year or two. Then just
wait for the outcry when an emergency response takes too long by having to
call the seven digit number directly and someone dies as a result when they
could have been saved with a faster 911 call and response. That's when it
will hit the fan.

So, if no one wants to vote for the increase, that's fine - nothing wrong
with the people getting what they want - or don't want. But, be aware of
the fact that you're probably not going to have 911 service in the not too
distant future - and believe me, this is NOT a scare tactic - just reality.
I agree "who wants to pay more damned fees or taxes?" I sure as hell don't.
But the reality is sometimes things do cost money, and this is one of those
times when everyone is going to have to decide do they want to go without
911 service to save about $15-20 per year, or are a few extra dollars money
well spent for faster emergency response.

Do I like it? No, but I'd still vote "yes."

John Scurich