[StBernard] First Baptist Church of Chalmette restructures ministry

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 25 03:47:50 EDT 2012

First Baptist Church of Chalmette restructures ministry

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2012, 7:01 AM

By Earl Hodges

First Baptist Church of Chalmette recently reorganized and restructured its
entire ministry strategy and created the First Chalmette Community
Development Corporation, a faith-based nonprofit corporation.

"St. Bernard Parish is experiencing rapid population growth, a changing
ethnic and economic demographic that has increased rather than diminished
the ministry need," said the Rev. John Dee Jeffries, pastor of First Baptist
Church of Chalmette.

The church's future ministry will be shaped by "two complementary forces -
the time honored biblical traditions and values that shaped our past and by
the contemporary ministry needs that are apparent as we transition with our
community into the future," Jeffries said.

The mission of the FCCDC is to bring hope and help to every heart and home
through the development and implementation of faith based strategies in the
areas of community outreach, education, economic development and social
services, Jeffries added.

Traditional ministry strategies that have been a part of the church for many
decades include prayer ministries, Bible study classes, discipleship
training, evangelism, senior adult ministries and youth ministries.

Contemporary ministries of the church include a food pantry, food for
seniors, a Latino Farmers Co-op, a crisis pregnancy center, counseling,
addiction and alcoholism support groups, children's before and after care,
Toastmasters and a Christian exercise program.

"One of our primary goals after Katrina was to create a seven-day-a-week
church," said Carol Saling, ministry assistant at First Baptist. "We've done
that by having ministries flow through our facilities every day of the week.
Something is always going on, ministry is always happening. It's a real
blessing to be a part of what God is doing through our church."

The FCCDC will also address a wide range of contemporary issues including
urban life, hunger, poverty, aging, racial and ethnic concerns, the needs of
people with disabilities, and refugees and immigration.

"It's amazing to see how many people are being touched by the ministries of
this church," said Misty Colson, First Baptist's children educational
director. "And with this new ministry strategy we're confident we will be
able to help even more people and families in St. Bernard."

"Private entities and government agencies provide services primarily through
institutionally based models that are guided by and limited by financial
constraints," Jeffries said. "The FCCDC provides a significantly different
model of care rooted in faith-based commitment to compassion for all people,
concern for the whole person and a high ethical standard in related decision
making that is guided by the biblical principles of Christian ministry."

"Our pastor works hard. Our deacons work hard. And our people work hard
because God is always at work," said Mike Gillette, chairman of the church's
deacons. "We are simply co-laborers with God."

For more information about First Baptist, call 504.277.2939.

Earl Hodges can be reached at earlhodges at msn.com or 504.887.4731.

C 2012 NOLA.com. All rights reserved.