[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish council ends contract with official parish journal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 25 08:06:23 EDT 2012

McInnis' is referencing what he said months ago when this first came up. In
regards to the actions taken last Tuesday, the Council proceeded on current
state law, and under that law it was acknowledged prior to last Tuesday's
meeting that the Parish Post newspaper still does not qualify to bid for the
contract. Only publications outside of St. Bernard that have been in
business for at least five years can bid. So the Council's decision last
Tuesday was in no way to help the Parish Post since they already knew that
publication cannot qualify.

Also, Mr. McInnis' original comment was in error. He presumed such a bill
by Garofalo would be an ethics conflict, when in fact it has since been
learned that would not have been the case since the Parish Post was already
an existing tenant of his and not a potential tenant contingent on receiving
the contract. Also it has since been learned in an article that the Parish
Post moved out of Garofalo's building months ago to a larger facility due
their growth in business.