[StBernard] Leading The Nation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 23 17:29:46 EDT 2012

Dear Friends -

New economic data were released yesterday showing that more than 42,000 jobs
have been created in Louisiana over the last year. Indeed, the new data show
that we are among the top ten states for private sector job growth over the
past year.

The new report also noted that 26 states saw their unemployment rate
increase over the past month, while Louisiana's unemployment rate has
dropped over the last month.

This is certainly a positive sign, but we are not going to become
complacent. We know that we need to aggressively foster an environment where
businesses want to invest and create jobs. That's why we're laser focused on
pursuing policies that will create a more skilled workforce and better
business climate.

This week we made a major announcement that will make sure our people have
the skills needed to get good-paying jobs. As the Associated Press
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9439%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=6LpANikGZNGYZIHm0kZxTg&sysid=1> reported, we announced a $13.9
million commitment to build a Center for Excellence in Auto Technology at
Baton Rouge Community College.

The center will be a training ground for people who want careers in the auto
industry, and it will also fill a current void in the auto industry for more
skilled workers. The new facility will be part of our technical and
community college system, which is a critical pipeline we must invest in to
make sure we have the best trained workers in the world.

We also made a major transportation funding announcement this week. As the
Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9430%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=pAVuJhTDbOwz7c%2frJTH33w&sysid=1> reported, we are investing $12
million to widen a critical business and medical corridor in Baton Rouge.
This is an area heavily traveled by folks who live or work in Baton Rouge.
It's also an area that has seen significant economic development and is
undergoing a major hospital expansion which will help improve graduate
medical education and provide better healthcare to our people. As we
continue to pursue more economic development opportunities, it's important
that we have the infrastructure to support the growth.

The bottom line is that Louisiana is on the move and our economy is growing,
but I want you to know that we won't stop here. We've made great progress,
but we will not stop working until Louisiana is the best place in the
country to live, raise a family and start a business.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal