[StBernard] I-Team: Audit into St. Bernard Clerk's office complete

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 15 20:44:43 EST 2012

I-Team: Audit into St. Bernard Clerk's office complete
Probe includes findings on shredding, allegations of favoritism

UPDATED 6:52 PM CST Nov 15, 2012
CHALMETTE, La. -
The Louisiana Legistlative Auditor's office has completed its probe into
concerns at the St. Bernard Parish Clerk of Court's office and is expected
to release its report in the next couple of weeks, the WDSU I-Team has
learned.

The year-long examination centers on activities during the administration of
former clerk Lena Torres.

In late 2011, the I-Team reported that then-incoming clerk of court Randy
Nunez -- who defeated Torres in a bitter campaign -- believed his
predecessor violated protocols regarding the destruction of documents.

That concern will be addressed by the legislative audit when it is released.

The report is also expected to explore claims that Torres allowed her son,
local attorney Sidney Torres III, to file hundreds of cases without paying a
mandatory filing fee of $300 each. The failure to pay in a timely fashion
may apply to hundreds of cases.

The Metropolitan Crime Commission shared that concern with the auditors.

"The allegation is that attorneys were paying these (fees), with the
exception of Miss. Torres' son, Sidney Torres III," MCC President Rafael
Goyeneche said.

The I-Team has learned that the report will substantiate some of the claims
made to the legislative auditor.

The office does not possess law enforcement powers, but can share its
findings with prosecutors at the parish or state level, who may then
determine whether to take any action.

"If they believe there is potential for a criminal violation, they have a
responsibility to make a referral," Goyeneche said. "So the fact that they
are referencing that laws may have been broken -- they are just saying that
this is something that needs to be looked at by a law enforcement agency."

Neither Lena Torres nor Sidney Torres III has been charged with any
wrongdoing. Each provided the I-Team with a statement noting that state law
prohibits the discussion of legislative audit findings prior to their
official release.

Lena Torres and Sidney Torres III received advance copies of a preliminary
report and were given the chance to provide a response that will be included
in the final version.

Read more:
http://www.wdsu.com/news/investigations/I-Team-Audit-into-St-Bernard-Clerk-s
-office-complete/-/13627428/17434162/-/2rgcvcz/-/index.html#ixzz2CLVEoPZH