[StBernard] Gulf Energy Fuels America

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 26 21:57:07 EDT 2013

March 26, 2013

Gulf Energy Fuels America!
$1.2 Billion Lease Sale Demonstrates the Significance of the Gulf in Fueling this Nation

Last week's Lease Sale 227 in New Orleans garnered $1.2 billion for drilling rights to 39 million acres of deepwater in the Central Gulf of Mexico, ranking it as one of the top 10 highest generating lease sales since 1983. According to the U.S. Department of Interior, the sale could end of up producing 460 - 890 million barrels of oil and 1.9 trillion - 3.9 trillion cubic feet of gas.

Gulf Economic Survival Team (GEST) Executive Director Lori LeBlanc heralded the strong lease sale results as an indicator of the continued importance of America's Gulf in providing economic and energy security to our nation.

“The strong demand for the offshore tracts offered today should remind all Americans, including members of the current Administration, of the Gulf’s vast potential to serve our country’s energy needs well into the future,” said LeBlanc.

The Gulf of Mexico is America’s powerhouse, providing nearly 30 percent of our nation’s domestic crude oil supply. Energy production in America’s Gulf contributes an estimated $44.5 billion to our national economy and supports approximately 430,000 American jobs.

“Clearly, Gulf energy fuels this nation,” Leblanc added. “However, realizing the increased domestic energy supply and significant economic activity that today’s lease sale offers depends on the Interior Department’s ability to implement clear regulations that encourage safe, responsible and efficient energy production. We urge the next Interior Secretary to make this a priority so that citizens of every state reap the benefits of America’s promising energy future in the Gulf,” LeBlanc explained.

Legislation offered recently by Senators Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) regarding revenue sharing for energy producing states illustrates the enormous impact on U.S. coffers of lease sales and revenue from energy production. In 2008, for example, the Gulf generated $9.5 billion in lease sales and $7.5 billion in royalties, figures that shrank in 2011 to $36 million and $5.8 billion, respectively, as lease sales and production slowed.

“The Fixing America’s Inequality with Revenues (FAIR) Act co-sponsored by Senators Landrieu and Murkowski illustrates the enormous value generation of Gulf energy, particularly during a time of tight federal and state budgets,” added LeBlanc. “It is essential that this administration take advantage of the Gulf of Mexico’s ability to provide needed revenue by doing all it can to establish the regulatory clarity needed to let our industry flourish.”

New GEST Web Site Focuses on Significance of America's Gulf and Its Energy Workers

The Gulf Economic Survival Team (GEST) has launched a new website at www.GulfEconomicSurvivalTeam.org <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499135.html> that communicates the organization's enhanced mission to promote full development <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499135.html> of the Gulf of Mexico's energy resources and its national economic potential. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499136.html>
"For over two years, the focus of GEST has evolved to meet the challenges faced by America's energy coast. From emergency action to end the offshore drilling moratorium to resolving drilling permit bottlenecks, this organization has served a unique role in getting America back to work in the Gulf," explains GEST Executive Director Lori LeBlanc. "While our regulatory efforts continue, we are excited to announce an enhanced, long-term mission to promote the tremendous role that the Gulf plays in fueling America, and to advocate for the full use of this valuable resource."

Visit www.GulfEconomicSurvivalTeam.org <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499135.html> to check out the organization's new website with significant facts about the economic contributions of America's Gulf energy industry and its workers, as well as impressive statistics about energy production in the Gulf.

<http://www.easyemerge.com/userfiles/2023/image/1363712110-hardhatwithblack.jpg> Salute to America's
Energy Workers

Over 430,000 Americans work directly or indirectly in support of America's Gulf energy production. You are our hard hat heroes, proudly producing energy that fuels America.

GEST Salutes YOU!

TALK TO US: <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499137.html>
If you are an energy worker, tell us what you do to fuel America here. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499137.html>

Energy Workers Testify Before Congress on Need for Robust Lease Sales

Two members of the Gulf Economic Survival Team – Chett Chiasson, Executive Director of the Greater Lafourche Port Commission and Cory Kief, Director of Business Development for Crosby Tugs – testified on behalf of the offshore industry March 5 at a hearing held by the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources Oversight. The hearing examined the economic importance and energy contribution of the industry, as well as the need to support industry growth through appropriate policies, including robust lease sales.

"Robust lease sales have the ability to energize oil and gas service companies, their suppliers, and their suppliers’ suppliers throughout the country planning for future development. That facilitates critically needed investment by entities that service these offshore activities, which has a positive ripple effect throughout the national economy," Chiasson said.

Read complete news release. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3241362-104873-499138.html>