[StBernard] Fort Polk Strong

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 26 08:01:49 EDT 2013

Fort Polk Strong

Dear Friend,

"This is not your grandfather's Fort Polk."

That was Leesville Mayor Robert Rose's message at an Army
community-listening meeting in Leesville last week, proudly explaining how
far the Army post has come over the years thanks to an overwhelming
outpouring of community support and significant federal investments.

Fort Polk is truly stronger than ever before and has become invaluable to
Louisiana and our country's national security.

That's the same message Fort Polk Progress delivered to the U.S. Army this
week in D.C. when they made their case to keep the post intact as the Army
considers whether to reduce personnel at Fort Polk.

We are FORT POLK STRONG. I hope you'll show your support for Fort Polk by
sharing this graphic on Facebook.
<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/1473093a8179c08f4d2a5cc6b07a98bc/411546583/r
ealurl=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550823748295326&set=a.1273917
40638531.15097.122518851125820&type=1&theater>

<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/1473093a8179c08f4d2a5cc6b07a98bc/411546583/r
ealurl=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550823748295326&set=a.1273917
40638531.15097.122518851125820&type=1&theater>

I have been proud to stand alongside the Fort Polk community and to be its
champion here in Washington. For years, I have worked to improve the post,
securing $27 million in federal money for a 4,900-acre expansion and writing
to the Secretary of the Army to urge approval of this land acquisition. I
also worked with the local community to raise $20 million, including $18.3
million in federal funds I secured, to construct South Polk Elementary to
provide quality education to the children of our military families.

The federal government has also taken notice of Fort Polk's vital and
strategic importance for our country. During the last two years alone, we
have invested nearly $100 million in federal funds for military construction
projects at the post, including $11 million for housing improvements.

The Army should not overlook the significant investments that we have made
in this post and its strategic importance for the country. While others are
cutting back, Fort Polk is the only Army installation that is growing in
size.

We want this brigade to stay right here, and we are going to do everything
we can to keep Ft. Polk intact and to keep it growing.

I hope you will join us by showing your support of Fort Polk and share the
graphic above, on Facebook.
<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/1473093a8179c08f4d2a5cc6b07a98bc/411546583/r
ealurl=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550823748295326&set=a.1273917
40638531.15097.122518851125820&type=1&theater>

All the best,

Mary Landrieu