[StBernard] Nunez Culinary Program Student Wins John Besh Foundation Scholarship and Picture

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 10 17:06:34 EDT 2013

Nunez Student Wins John Besh Foundation’s Chefs Move! Scholarship

Like most of us with a passion for the kitchen, Lashandra Robinson
attributes her love for cooking to the days when she was her mom’s little
kitchen helper who stirred the pot when they were preparing beans and rice.
That childhood love developed into a grown-up’s passion when she during a
stint at Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar in 2010: Under the guidance of Chef Paul
Rosenbloom, Robinson realized that not only could she stand the heat, but
that everything about the kitchen—from the prep work to garnishing the
plates—was the vocation to which she had been called. Now, a Chefs Move!
Scholarship from the John Besh Foundation will take Robinson to New York to
answer that call and train at the International Culinary Center (previously
called the French Culinary Institute).

Having worked at a popular, fast-food chain since 2006, this 23 year-old,
single mom of four and five year-old girls was no stranger to the time and
energy demands of food service work, but was determined to continue her
education. “Education was the way I could continue to work in an industry I
enjoyed and improve my earning power so I could make myself and the lives of
my daughters better,” said Robinson.

Even though she had to commute to and from Marrero, Robinson enrolled in an
Orleans Parish community college to fulfill her prerequisites before
applying to Nunez’s Culinary Arts Program for 2013’s Spring semester. The
shift schedule worked in her favor: she could work and attend classes while
her daughters were in school, and still have the time to be the parent who
helped with homework before she put them to bed.

Robinson was almost hysterical when she was awarded the Chefs Move!
Scholarship for Culinary Arts at “Funkin’ It Up,” a fundraiser, with
presentation of the Ella Brennan Award for Lifetime Achievement in
Hospitality to Ms. Leah Chase, Chef and owner of Dooky Chase Restaurant.
“This was the second time I had applied for the scholarship,” Robinson said,
“and even though I also encouraged everyone in my class to apply for it, I
knew it was for me this time around. When I saw the video interview with me
playing at [the fundraiser], I realized all my determination and positive
thinking had paid off.”

Robinson leaves for New York in July. It will be her first visit the Big
Apple, and she is profuse in her appreciation for the scholarship, which is
specifically for cultural minorities, including African-American,
Vietnamese, and Hispanics, to name a few. According to the John Besh
Foundation, “This program is intended to take individuals with culinary
aptitude and predilection but without professional training and give them an
opportunity to become a sous chef or executive chef in order to increase
their professional status, earning potential and ability to inspire others.
Chefs Move! offers the recipient a full scholarship to The French Culinary
Institute in Manhattan, allowing the individual to expand his or her
horizons and perspective with the expectation that he or she will return to
New Orleans to become a leader in the New Orleans’ culinary scene. Upon
graduation from FCI, the recipient is also guaranteed an internship in a
John Besh restaurant to initiate their career as a chef.

“Once the internship has finished, Chefs Move! graduates stay and work in
New Orleans for at least two years so that their advanced culinary skills
benefit the local area. We hope that our graduates will want to continue
working in NOLA for at least five years after the program so that they may
become leaders in the kitchen and leaders in the community.”

Robinson says while in New York, she will do her best, learn as
much as she can, explore New York and all the rich, culinary traditions
there, and just enjoy every moment. Her advice to other hopefuls: “If you
want something go after it, and be determined to work for it. Don’t let
anything stop you. Nothing will stop me.”

In addition to full tuition to the 9-month Culinary program at
The International Culinary Center, Lashandra Robinson will receive, as part
of her Chefs Move! Scholarship, the following:

§ Chef Uniforms and kitchen Equipment

§ Accommodation for the 9 months of the program in NYC

§ Air travel to and from New York

§ $250 grocery card

§ $100 subway card

§ Digital camera and lessons

§ Laptop computer and training

§ Media (including social media) training

§ Job placement assistance while in New York

§ Paid 8-week internship within the Besh Restaurant Group after completion
of NYC program

§ Chef Mentor from the Besh Restaurant Group