[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Council appoints parish employee to Hospital Service District Board

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 21 10:05:03 EDT 2013

St. Bernard Parish Council appoints parish employee to Hospital Service
District Board

Print By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on June 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM, updated June 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM

The St. Bernard Parish Council on Tuesday appointed a parish employee to the
St. Bernard Hospital Service District Board. Andrew Becker Jr. will fill the
post vacated by Parish Council Chairman George Cavignac.

Becker, 32, who is a recovery project grant manager with St. Bernard
government, was the only applicant for the post. He was recommended to the
Parish Council by the Hospital Service District.

"I am representing the citizens of St Bernard Parish and not administration
during my tenure on the Hospital Service District Board," Becker said. "My
current job with the parish will not have any influence or effect on my
duties, and in no capacity will I be representing St Bernard Parish
government in any decisions I make."

Becker said the hospital "has been crucial to the success of our parish
since the devastation of Hurricane Katrina" and he thanked the Parish
Council "for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this continued
success."

Cavignac resigned from his position as vice chairman of the St. Bernard
Parish Hospital's board in April.

It is the first time since May 2009 that the board has not had a council
member among its ranks. At that time, Cavignac and then-Councilman Wayne
Landry -- who currently serves as the board's chairman and the hospital's
interim CEO -- voted to appoint themselves members of the five-person board.

Their appointment was contentious and was followed by other council members
seeking a court injunction barring the two from being seated.

Becker earned a master's degree in health care administration from the
University of New Orleans in December, and he is currently working toward a
master's degree in business administration, to be completed in spring 2014.

Becker will complete Cavignac's term on the board, which will expire on Dec.
9, 2015.

The Hospital Service District recommended Becker, then Becker applied for
the advertised position, according to Councilman Guy McInnis. McInnis said
he asked Parish President Dave Peralta if he was fine with Becker holding
the seat, considering that he is a parish employee. Peralta supported the
idea and said Becker "is a very knowledgeable young man and gets along well
with others."

The public hospital opened last fall. But a month after its opening, the
management group that had contracted to run the facility pulled out. The
nascent hospital also has seen several administrative managers leave or
resign.