[StBernard] 'Page to Stage' workshop in Violet teaches children writing and acting skills

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 24 08:56:10 EDT 2013

'Page to Stage' workshop in Violet teaches children writing and acting
skills

Print Alison Schroeder By Alison Schroeder
on July 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM, updated July 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Tucked behind majestic oaks and nestled in the peaceful tranquility of
Docville Farm in Violet, 10 young writers from St. Bernard Parish recently
had an opportunity to hone their writing skills, develop their acting skills
and shine in front of an audience.

The young scribes were participants in the Meraux Foundation's Summer Art
Series, "Page to the Stage" workshop, led by local educator and writer,
Barry Lemoine.

Participants included Kaya Lawrence, 14, Serenity Magual, 12, Khelsie
Morales, 12, Jewel Morgan, 13, Emma Nunez, 10, Natalya O'Hauer, 12, Emily
Snyder, 13, Maelee Springer, 14, Titiyana Thomas, 12, and Julia Verdon, 15.

Lemoine said the vision of the two-day project was to allow the students an
opportunity to reflect and connect to their thoughts, while developing
material that they could share in performance.

"I'm hoping being around nature and providing some time and guidance will
inspire them to write and share," Lemoine said. "In the cell phone, Internet
era, there's not a lot of time for quiet reflection. I'm hoping they will
kind of check in with themselves and find their voice."

The workshop brought the students together and offered instruction in
different types of writing from poetry, monologues and scene writing to
journals, letters and personal reflections. Students were then given several
opportunities to share their work, taking it from the page to the stage.

"It's important for writers to share," Lemoine said. "I know that not all
writers will be performers and not all performers will be writers, but I
want them to see the connection between their chosen words and the impact
those words contain in delivery."

The students were encouraged to use their inner voices and personal
creativity to push the limits of each assignment and Lemoine offered
constructive advice and praise to each student individually.

Lemoine said the long-term goal of the project goes beyond just two days of
writing instruction.

"The big picture plan is to sing a love song to the parish through writing
and performance," Lemoine said. "Through monolgoues, poems and other
creative writing prompts, students will create material to be performed at a
later date."

Lemoine hopes that the workshop was is the starting point to an envisioned
performance, "Love Song to the Parish," scheduled on or near Aug, 29, 2015,
an important and unforgettable date in St. Bernard history for a number of
reasons.

"That date marks the 50th anniversary of Hurricane Betsy, the 10th
anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and the 200th anniversary of the Battle of
New Orleans," Lemoine said. "Gathering stories, poems, and songs with the
students is the first step towards that performace."

Lemoine, co-founder of the Voices Foundation, said his organization has
partnered with the Meraux Foundation in a series of other projects for
several years, and said this was a natural progression.

"Meraux and the Voices Foundation have partnered for several years on
projects of all sorts," Lemoine said. "This creative writing is the next
phase of our Docville Farm art series. They provide the funding and the
venue, we provide the artists and the instruction; it's been a good
partnership and I think the young artists and performers really benefit."

Verdon said she valued her experience in the workshop.

"I learned to expand my own creativity," Verdon said. "I focused on pushing
myself beyond the limits and using creativity to push my writing further."

Morgan said she most enjoyed the instruction of Lemoine because "he is a
great teacher and lots of fun to be around."

Lemoine said he was proud to see students from a variety of St. Bernard
schools participate in the event. Students from Joe Davies, Trist Middle
School, Andrew Jackson Middle School, St. Bernard Middle School, New Orleans
Center for the Creative Arts and Chalmette High School represented their
schools at the workshop. Additionally, there was one student visiting from
Arkansas who also participated.

"We have a lot of talent across this parish, and it is important that it has
a chance to shine," Lemoine said.