[StBernard] Chalmette High Charmers dance team charms at summer camp: Class Act

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 24 08:58:07 EDT 2013

Chalmette High Charmers dance team charms at summer camp: Class Act
Print Barry Lemoine By Barry Lemoine
on July 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM, updated July 23, 2013 at 7:06 AM

More than 60 girls had a kick recently at Chalmette High School. Well,
hundreds of kicks really. It was all part of the weeklong Chalmette High
School Charmers dance camp. Hosted by the 30-members of the school's dance
team, the award-winning Charmers, the camp gave young dancers ages 5-12 the
chance to learn new dances and bond as a group.

Jill Mitchell, the coach and director of the Charmers, said the camp was fun
for everyone and benefited both groups of girls.

"The camp gave the younger kids something fun and creative to do during the
summer and a chance to learn some new dances," Mitchell said. "But, the high
school girls also got to do some community service, serving as mentors to
the young dancers. It was good for all of us."

Nearly three dozen Charmers-to-be spent the week learning several different
dances and routines including jazz, hip-hop, pom, and the signature move of
the Charmers, kick.

Charmer Captain Juliet Michalik said she enjoyed seeing the progress made
each day.

"My favorite part was seeing how enthusiastic they all were to learn new
dances. It was great to see them grow as dancers."

Fellow dancer and co-captain Ashlin Nicosia expressed the same sentiments.

"It was fun working with them and seeing them improve and grow as
performers. And it was also great to see how much fun they had doing it,"
she said.

Nicosia said she looks forward to her senior year as a Charmer.

"I like getting to showcase what we've learned as a team and seeing the
crowd react to our performance."

Mitchell said fostering a love of dance and teamwork is critical to the
success of the Charmer tradition. She said the camp was a success in that
regard.

"I think we may have inspired the next generation of Charmers. I had a bunch
of little girls telling me they didn't want to go home, and that they were
sure of one thing. They want to be a Charmer when they get to Chalmette
High."

Michalik said that the camp and all the time the Charmers put in is with one
goal in mind.

"This year's team is committed to continuing our legacy of excellence."