[StBernard] Fueling Louisiana's Economy

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 8 08:29:50 EST 2013

November 7, 2013

Energy and Environment Fuel Louisiana's Economy A message from Executive Director Lori LeBlanc

The Gulf of Mexico is poised to be a significant oil and gas province for many years to come. I recently had the opportunity to speak at the Coastal Leaders Offshore Energy Conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where local government leaders heard from a variety of speakers as they consider the opportunities for offshore oil and gas drilling along the East coast. I was pleased to share Louisiana’s Story: Balancing an Energy State and a Sportsman’s Paradise. Below are some of those stats and facts that tell our story:

The first successful well was drilled out of sight of water in Louisiana in 1947. Since that first well, a tremendously successful industry has grown.

* The offshore oil and gas industry has a $44 billion annual economic impact to the State of Louisiana. Combined with the pipeline and refinery industries, the annual economic impact to the State is $70 billion.
* Louisiana has over 125,000 miles of pipelines criss-crossing the state.
* Port Fourchon services 90% of all the activities in the deep and ultra-deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, servicing about 18% of our nation’s oil and gas production. Over 250 companies operate out of this single port with about 15,000 people flown in and out of the port each month.
* According to a recent study by Dr. Loren Scott, Louisiana is one of only 12 states that has more people employed today than in January 2008.
* Over 300,000 jobs are related to the oil and gas industry in the State of Louisiana,
* The industry generates approximately $16.1 billion in household earnings for Louisianians.
* In 2010, the industry contributed $2.5 billion to Louisiana’s treasury.
* That same year, the industry contributed over $1 billion to local government treasuries.
* According to a Wood McKenzie study, operators are expected to invest over $70 billion by 2030 on exploration in the Gulf of Mexico.

Even with the bulk of OCS drilling in the nation happening off the shores of our state, Louisiana still remains a Sportsman’s Paradise like none other.

* Our fisheries are some of the most productive in the world, providing almost one-quarter of the fisheries catch for the lower 48 states.
* We are home to some of the best migratory bird hunting and recreational fishing on the planet. We have great camping, trailing, and birdwatching.
* Recreational fishermen spend about $1.7 billion a year in our state.
* Hunters spend about $975 million.
* Wildlife-watching activity means another $517 million.
* And our coastal wetlands provide habitat for about 1.8 million migratory waterfowl.

Smart Energy Policy Will Secure Energy Development, American Jobs and Access to Affordable Energy LA Public Service Commissioner Scott Angelle Speaks at Industry Expo

<http://app.systememerge.com/userfiles/2023/image/bf6f54d1383692406-ScottAngelle123x138-142469.jpeg> New technology and a renewed interest in Gulf of Mexico oil and gas development are resulting in record levels of domestic energy production that create jobs and lower energy costs for Americans, GEST founder and LA Public Service Commissioner Scott Angelle told attendees at the LA Gulf Coast Oil and Gas Expo in Lafayette, LA in October. Public policy, however, must nurture this growth in order to sustain these substantial national economic benefits, he said.

According to Angelle, oil and gas employment has risen 38.6 percent since 2007, and for the first time since 1995, the U.S. will produce more oil and than it imports in 2013.

"Deepwater is back," he declared.

Additionally, America's oil and gas industry is on pace to spend $15.7 billion on Gulf of Mexico energy development in 2013, compared to $6.5 billion in 2010.

"This is remarkable turn of events. This is a new era of thinking about new market conditions and opportunities you wouldn't think about in a million years," Angelle stated, quoting an Energy Information Administration report and citing hydraulic fracturing, horizontal drilling, and deepwater technology that have revitalized energy production.

He explained that America needs public policy that focuses on sustaining the investments in our domestic oil and gas industry and makes affordable energy possible. "Regulation that leads to strangulation is not smart public policy," Angelle explained.

<http://app.systememerge.com/userfiles/2023/image/1a7b6371363712110-hardhatwithblack169x112-142469.jpeg>

IN THE NEWS

Oil and Gas Industry Has Positive Impact on Local Economies:
Commercial Investment in Lafourche Breaks Record <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-773258.html>

Port Could Begin $26 Million Additional Expansion Early <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-773259.html>

Analysis: From Big Foot to Bluto, Gulf of Mexico set for record oil supply surge Read article here. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-773260.html>

Gulf Of Mexico Moves
Toward Comeback
Read article here. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-773261.html>

Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) Director Brian Salemo delivered remarks at the International Regulators Forum (IRF) 2013 Offshore Safety Conference in Perth, Austrailia. Read his speech here. <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-776724.html>

LIKE US on FACEBOOK

Facebook <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-770350.html>

Show Your Support for the Men and Women Who Go to Work Each Day to Fuel America!

Stay connected to GEST 24/7!

JOIN OUR TEAM

The Gulf Economic Survival Team is powered by the support of individuals and businesses throughout the U.S. Show your support for Gulf energy development and our energy workers by becoming a GEST member!

• VISIT OUR WEBSITE <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-770351.html>

• EMAIL US <mailto:lori at gulfeconomicsurvival.org?subject=GEST%20Membership>

• Call Executive Director Lori LeBlanc at 985-448-4485.

About Us:
The Gulf Economic Survival Team (GEST) is focused on promoting the significance of Gulf energy to America and achieving full production of this important economic resource in a safe and environmentally protective manner. More information can be found at www.GulfEconomicSurvival.org.

GEST is located within the South Louisiana Economic Council (SLEC) on the campus of Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, Louisiana. Visit our website: www.GulfEconomicSurvival.org <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-770352.html>
Contact GEST:
Lori LeBlanc, Executive Director
Telephone: 985-448-4485
Email: lori at GulfEconomicSurvival.org Mail: P.O. Box 2048/NSU
Thibodaux, LA 70310
Website: http://www.gulfeconomicsurvival.org/ <http://app.systememerge.com/emaill-3248590-142469-770352.html>