[StBernard] St. Bernard Art Guild announces its members show winners

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 5 10:00:17 EST 2013

St. Bernard Art Guild announces its members show winners
Print Earl Hodges By Earl Hodges
on December 05, 2013 at 6:35 AM, updated December 05, 2013 at 6:36 AM

The St. Bernard Art Guild held its annual members show Nov. 10 at the St.
Bernard Parish government complex in Chalmette. Michael Reed, a member of
the St. Bernard Art Guild for five years, won the guild's Chalmette Refining
LLC best of show award with a clay sculpture of Medusa.

"It felt great to win the best of show award," Reed said. "There is always
so much talent at the members show and when you win an award like this it's
a compliment to your work as an artist."

Reed focuses mostly on sculpture but he also paints as well.

"It depends on the mood I'm in," said Reed, who has a degree in sequential
art (comic book art) from Savannah College of Art in Savannah, Ga. "I use my
sculpture to tell a story. Recently I've been working on monsters of Greek
stories."

This year's show was beautiful and very successful. Linda Lopez
The St. Bernard Art Guild's members show drew 30 artists who submitted 80
pieces of art.

"This year's show was beautiful and very successful," said Linda Lopez,
president of the guild. "We had great participation from our members and an
outstanding judge."

The judge for the show was New Orleans native Patrick Hotard, who is also
president of the Lacombe Art Guild.

"The members art show is a way for the members of our guild to display their
work and also support the community at the same time," Lopez said.

The St. Bernard Art Guild holds also holds an open show in the spring. The
guild meets the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the St. Bernard
Parish government complex, 8201 West Judge Perez Dr., Chalmette. Membership
is open to both beginners as well as veteran artists.

Other winners in the show were: Art Not Under Glass: Donna Linda, first
place; Claire Pescay, second place and third place. Honorable mention went
to Elaine Hodges and Maurice Stockton. Photography: Linda Lopez, first
place; Beth Montreuil, second place; and Suzanne Vicknair, third place.
Honorable mention went to Mary Anne Anderson, Suzannne Vicknair and Janet
Attaway. Three dimensional: Victoria Graves, first place, second place and
third place. Honorable mention went to Graves and Ron Chapman.

Specialty awards: Best landscape, Claire Pescay; Best maritime, Bob Viosca;
Best spiritual, Mary Ann Anderson; Best children, Janice Hilborn; Best
floral, LInda Burrow; Best portrait, Dana Sherlock; Best wildlife, Claire
Pescay; Best abstract, Linda Burrow; and Best St. Bernard, Claire Pescay.
Charles Anderson also received the member's choice award.

For information about the St. Bernard Art Guild contact Lopez at
504.884.1843.

Earl Hodges writes about clubs in St. Bernard Parish. He can be contacted at
earlhodges at msn.com or 504.887.4731.