[StBernard] New St. Bernard Parish chief administrative officer is former appeals court judge

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 5 10:05:38 EST 2013

New St. Bernard Parish chief administrative officer is former appeals court
judge
Written by Media Sources // Tuesday, 03 December 2013 22:15 //
Two weeks after then-St. Bernard Parish Chief Administrative Officer Jerry
Graves announced he was leaving St. Bernard government for a new job at the
New Orleans Redevelopment Authority, St. Bernard Parish President Dave
Peralta appointed retired St. Bernard and state 4th Circuit Court of Appeal
Judge David Gorbaty as the new parish CAO.

"I look forward to working with each and every one of you," Gorbaty, 65, of
Chalmette, said to the Parish Council after Peralta announced his
appointment at the Tuesday evening (Dec. 3) council meeting. "Although there
may be some differences, I want to make sure we all pull in the same
direction."

Gorbaty said he will officially start his new job on Monday.

Gorbaty's son, Parish Councilman Nathan Gorbaty, who was elected to the
council in 2011, joked that he wasn't sure what to call his father now:
"Should I continue calling you dad?"

The announcement was a surprise to the council, with the news apparently
having even been kept secret from the new CAO's son. David Gorbaty and
Peralta each said the decision was finalized on Tuesday after several
conversations duringr the past week or so.

David Gorbaty left the state's 4th Circuit Court of Appeal in 2010 after 10
years on that bench. Before that, he was a senior judge of the 34th Judicial
District Court, where he served for 16 years. Before becoming a judge, he
served on the St. Bernard Parish Police Jury, the Parish Council's
predecessor, from 1979 to 1984.