[StBernard] Tours of stained glass windows in St. Bernard landmarks are available Jan. 10

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 8 09:24:23 EST 2014

Tours of stained glass windows in St. Bernard landmarks are available Jan.
10
Print NOLA Community By NOLA Community
on January 08, 2014 at 6:29 AM, updated January 08, 2014 at 6:33 AM

St. Bernard Parish has an interesting and beautiful collection of stained
glass windows in two parish landmark structures. Stained glass began to be
used in medieval European churches as a means of educating congregations
about Christianity.

The St. Bernard Parish Courthouse in Chalmette, completed in 1939, is among
the largest courtroom in Louisiana. Two beautiful stained glass windows were
designed and installed in the courtroom in the 1990s.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church in Chalmette also has remarkable
stained glass windows in the church above the main altar. The windows
highlight scenes from the founding of St. Bernard Parish by the Islenos,
colonial New Orleans, the Battle of New Orleans, and the Ursuline Order of
Religious.

Guided tours of the St. Bernard Parish Courthouse, at 1101 W. St. Bernard
Hwy. will be offered to the public Jan. 10 from noon to 4 p.m. Self-guided
tours will be available at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church to the
public on Jan. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The tours are sponsored by the St. Bernard Office of Tourism.