[StBernard] The Knights of Nemesis Social Club and Parade gears up for ninth annual parade in St. Bernard: Club Salute

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 16 18:00:24 EST 2014

The Knights of Nemesis Social Club and Parade gears up for ninth annual
parade in St. Bernard: Club Salute
Print Earl Hodges By Earl Hodges
on January 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM, updated January 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM

The Knights of Nemesis Social Club and Parade is gearing up for its ninth
annual parade. Krewe members are anticipating one of the best parades ever.

"The members of our krewe are excited about this year's parade," said Billy
Showalter, president. "They have all been working hard and getting ready for
it."

The Knights of Nemesis will parade in St. Bernard Feb. 22 at 1 p.m. This
year the krewe will have 16 floats and 20 marching groups.

A new addition to this year's parade is a children's float for children ages
7 to 15.

"The children's float will not only provide a way for children to have fun,
but hopefully when they get older they will remember how much fun they have
and stay involved with Knights of Nemesis," Showalter said.

The Knights of Nemesis Parade will include floats for both men and women as
well as co-ed floats. The krewe still has openings for individual riders on
both the adult floats as well as the children's float. The cost to ride an
adult float is $225 and the children's float is $150.

Showalter, who grew up in St. Bernard Parish, said the Knights of Nemesis is
the only Mardi Gras parade in St. Bernard.

"I can remember when we had at least five Mardi Gras parades," Showalter
said. "But today we are the only one."

Showalter said he and other members of the Knights of Nemesis are determined
to keep a Mardi Gras parade in St. Bernard.

"It's (Mardi Gras parade) part of our tradition and we want to keep the
tradition alive," Showalter said.

The Knights of Nemesis held their first parade in 2006 immediately following
Katrina.

"We didn't know if we would have enough people at first but we soon got 110
and then we had 250 members when we paraded," Showalter said.

For information about joining the krewe and riding on a float contact
Showalter at 504.583.3998.

St. Bernard Irish Italian Islenos Parade

Speaking of parades, it's not to early to begin making plans for the St.
Bernard Irish Italian Islenos Parade on April 6 at 11 a.m.

The group is accepting new floats for the parade as well as riders for
existing floats. There are also opportunities for sponsorships by businesses
which will include having name, phone number and logo placed on parade
T-shirts which will be thrown to St. Bernard residents.

For information about the St. Bernard Irish Italian Islenos Parade contact
Chad O'Neil at iiiparade at att.net or 504.655.7555 or Danny O'Neil at
504.655.7553.

The parade is also accepting princesses for 2014. Princess membership is
$125 and includes a ride on a float, T-shirt, tiara, sash and a party style
reception.

For information about becoming a princess contact Mary O'Neil at
maryoneil at bellsouth.net or 504.638.4476.

Earl Hodges writes about clubs in St. Bernard Parish. He can be contacted at
earlhodges at msn.com or 504.887.4731.