[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish to Hold Annual Arbor Day Tree Seedling Giveaway on January 25, 2014

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 18 08:06:01 EST 2014

St. Bernard Parish to Hold Annual Arbor Day Tree Seedling Giveaway on
January 25, 2014

St. Bernard Parish Government will hold its annual Arbor Day tree seedling
distribution on Saturday, January 25, 2014 at the Aycock Barn (409 Aycock
Street) in Arabi from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The parish will have live
oak, bald cypress and red maple seedlings available. Residents receiving
seedlings are reminded that they are prohibited from planting trees between
the sidewalk and the street due to potential damage to sidewalks by tree
root systems and will be asked to sign a document agreeing to follow the
parish's tree planting regulations.

The tree seedlings were obtained by Saint Bernard Parish Government's Grants
Department from the Apache Corporation, a Houston-based oil and gas
exploration and production company.

The Apache Corporation has now made five tree allocations to Saint Bernard
Parish. Trees from the Apache Corporation have been planted across the
parish, including at schools, parks and wetlands.

"We're grateful for the Apache Corporation's continued support for the
beautification of our community and the repopulation of our wetlands with
new trees," said Parish President Dave Peralta.

People are encouraged to take advantage of the recent cool temperature by
planting seedlings the same day they are picked up to increase their chances
of survival.

"Due to the state's warm climate, the ideal tree planting period in
Louisiana is the mild weather period that runs from December through
February," said Grant Writer Michael Bayham, who has managed a number of
tree grants and plantings for the parish. "Because our winter doesn't last
long, our state observes Arbor Day months before the national celebration."

For more information, contact Chris Andry at (504) 278-4308.