[StBernard] Chalmette High Charmers dance team win state title

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 24 08:15:09 EST 2014

Chalmette High Charmers dance team win state title
Print Barry Lemoine By Barry Lemoine
on January 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM, updated January 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM

There was no place like Dome for the Chalmette High School Charmers recently
when they competed in the Lafayette Cajun Dome for the Louisiana State
Championship. Dance teams from across the state took part in this two-day
event, and when the judge's scores were tallied, the Charmers were awarded
prizes in a number of categories.

Erica Lightell and Alexis Schallenberg got things off to a good start,
placing first in the duet division. These two talented dancers also competed
as soloists with Schallenberg also winning this event while Lightell took
third. The Charmers' Officers also placed third in its ensemble dance, but
the 29-member team saved some of its best results for day two, finishing
fourth place in Jazz, second place in Pom and first place in Kick.

The best award of the weekend was the last one, when the team was recognized
as the sweepstakes champion for Division 3, and for that achievement, the
Chalmette High Charmers dance team was Louisiana State Champion.

Jill Mitchell, the director of the Charmers for the last eight years, was
proud and excited by the results.

"When I was a Charmer at Chalmette High we won a state championship, and it
was such a great feeling of accomplishment" she said.

"I am so happy that this team gets to experience that same feeling - of
success and what hard work, confidence and commitment can achieve."

Juliet Michalik, the Captain of the Charmers, said the victory was a
testament to teamwork and the leadership of Mitchell

Michalik calls Mitchell's style strict and demanding.

"She always tells us 'Do it until it's perfect and then do it ten more times
like that until it's consistently perfect."

To get the routines "consistently perfect" for for the state competition,
Michalik said the team practiced nearly four 400 hours at Chalmette High.
Mitchell said such commitments of time and energy aren't possible without
the support of the Charmer parents and families.

"Our parents are really part of this success," Mitchell said. "They help the
girls get ready and stay focused and motivated. They really become an
extended part of the team and of the Charmer family."

Mitchell also credited her husband and parents for their ongoing support.

"I have three kids at home. None of our team success here would be possible
without the love and support of my team at home. In some ways, it is a
sacrifice, but I have such love for this team, it's just something that I
really feel I need to do. To give back all that I got to experience as a
Charmer."

Michalik summed it up nicely.

"Ms. Mitchell really pushes us because she knows we are better than we think
we are. We are all so grateful to her because she never gave up on us. And
now, it's all paid off."