[StBernard] St. Bernard president's wife faxes judge: 'I am afraid for my life'

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 24 23:16:10 EST 2014

St. Bernard president's wife faxes judge: 'I am afraid for my life'
Print Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Benjamin
Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM, updated January 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM

St. Bernard Parish President Dave Peralta's wife did not show up on Friday
morning (Jan. 24) for a court hearing on Peralta's petition for divorce and
his request for a permanent restraining order against her. Instead, Sharon
Schaefer Peralta sent the judge a signed fax stating, "I am afraid for my
life and cannot attend this hearing until I obtain some personal security
for myself."

"Dave Peralta is constantly harassing me and having anonymous people and
acquaintances email and call my phone threatening me," said Sharon Peralta's
letter, which District Judge Robert Buckley entered in the court record.

"I was sexually assaulted by David Peralta, on my birthday, and I intend to
follow through and cooperate with the Attorney General prosecutors with
respect to that case," she wrote.

Dave Peralta, who was in court Friday, declined to comment on Sharon
Peralta's letter. His attorney, Adele Faust, asked the court for a permanent
restraining order against Sharon Peralta and asked that Buckley move forward
on that request since Sharon Peralta had declined to show up to court, or
have an attorney appear in her stead.

"We are concerned of what physical harm Mrs. Peralta could cause Mr.
Peralta," Faust said in court.

The faxed letter also asked that Buckley recuse himself from the case.

"Dave Peralta has me well aware that you are a personal friend of his,"
Sharon Peralta wrote, saying also that Buckley's secretary and her husband
"are close friends of Dave and they once worked together as police officers
with the NOPD."

In court, Buckley said he has known Dave Peralta "for many years," but "to
say that he is a personal friend, that would be incorrect."

Buckley said he attended the Peralta's wedding, but that he also taught
Sharon Peralta in a paralegal class at Chalmette's Nunez Community College.
In terms of the relationship affecting his impartiality, Buckley said said,
"I don't see that in this case."

Sharon Peralta has worked in parish government since 2007. She currently is
on leave. The Peraltas married on March 31, 2012 and they separated on Dec.
10, according to Dave Peralta's divorce filing.

According to State Police records, the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office
in October received the initial complaint alleging that on Oct. 27 at about
11 a.m., Dave Peralta raped an adult female at his home in the 4400 block of
Newport Street in Meraux. NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune does not routinely
identify people who allege they are the victims in sex crimes. Dave Peralta,
in responding to initial news reports, identified his wife as the woman who
made the allegation.

State Police investigated the case and in late November forwarded its
findings to St. Bernard Parish District Attorney John Rowley's office. On
Dec. 30, Rowley recused his office, and the attorney general's office
received the file on Jan. 8, according to Attorney General Buddy Caldwell's
office.

A spokesman for Caldwell said earlier this week that "the case is being
evaluated to determine the proper course of action."

Buckley said her fax was not an official court filing and its requests could
not be considered. But he postponed the hearing until Feb. 7 anyway,
indicating that Sharon Peralta, or an attorney that she hires, could file
the needed paperwork formally requesting Buckley's recusal.

A hearing on a recusal would be heard before a different judge.

In the meantime, Buckely extended until Feb. 7 the temporary restraining
order sought by Dave Peralta against his wife, which has been in place since
last month.

On Jan. 17, Sharon Peralta alleged in a separate case in Orleans Civil Court
that Dave Peralta had handcuffed her, beat her and raped. Alleging that she
is now living in New Orleans, she filed for and received her own temporary
restraining order against her husband. A hearing on that restraining order
is scheduled for Feb. 5.

Her civil court filing said Dave Peralta forced himself on her and hurt her.

"Maybe I didn't want it but he was taking it," she wrote in that document.
"He raped and beat me and then walked away."

For his part, Dave Peralta's petition for divorce and for a temporary
restraining order said he "fears for his safety and well-being."

Earlier this week, Dave Peralta issued a two-sentence statement calling
Sharon Peralta's allegations "a personal matter."

"Unfortunately St. Bernard Parish government's policy prohibits me from
discussing any matters that are currently in litigation," Peralta wrote in
that statement. "Also, this is a personal matter as well and I would ask
that you respect my privacy for the present time."