[StBernard] St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club honors Golden Circle Award winner

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 7 07:54:10 EST 2014

St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club honors Golden Circle
Award winner
Print Earl Hodges By Earl Hodges
on February 06, 2014 at 7:32 AM, updated February 06, 2014 at 7:36 AM

The St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club has awarded its
annual Golden Circle Award to Lauren Gibson, a past president of the club.

"The Golden Circle Award recognizes a member who has dedicated lots of time
to the St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Cub," said Suzanne
Sweeney, secretary and a past president of the club. "It's an honor for one
of our members to receive this award. It honors them and also recognizes
their dedication to the club."

Gibson has been a member of the club for more than 15 years, and she has
served on various committees as well as president. The Golden Circle Award
was established by Louise Gobarty.

The St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club has a membership of
30. The club meets the third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.

"The St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club helps women develop
their business and professional skills," Sweeney said.

Club members also participate in various community service projects. Each
year the St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club awards three or
four college scholarships to St. Bernard women.

For information about the St. Bernard Business and Professional Women's Club
contact Sweeney at 504.908.3023.

AARP Pakenham Chapter 3926 meeting

Charlie Licciardi, fire inspector for the St. Bernard Parish Fire Department
was the speaker at the monthly meeting of the AARP Pakenham Chapter 3926
meeting. LIcciardi talked about various fire safety issues including
changing batteries on smoke detectors, cleaning lint from around dryers and
space heaters.

"It's important to keep senior adults informed about issues like fire
safety," said George Virga, president of the AARP Pakenham Chapter. "And
each month we try to have a guest speaker who talks about an issue that
affects the lives of senior adults."

The AARP Pakenham Chapter 3926 meets the fourth Saturday of each month at 10
a.m. at the Council on Aging, 8201 West Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette.

"Many senior adults don't have family members who live in St. Bernard
Parish, and we want to provide resources that can help them," Virga said.
"For example, many of our members didn't know that a representative from the
fire department will go to their home and change the batteries in their
smoke detector if they request it."

The Pakenham Chapter also keeps its members informed about retirement
benefits, Virga said.

Earl Hodges writes about clubs in St. Bernard Parish. He can be contacted at
earlhodges at msn.com or 504.887.4731.